$100-$250 UPGRADE (ok system to start with)

lowcar100

K I just ran into some unexpected money and I want to invest some of it into my computer. If you have been reading my other threads please don't bring that into here because I want opinions that will be fair. I will be upgrading my pc (the blue list in sig) and I was wondering what would give me the best performance upgrade for my buck. Another option is something more practical than I have

I was thinking another 1GB ram?
Or a faster RPM HDD (raptor, etc)
I think a faster processor is out of the question with my price range

I also have no speakers, I believe I could get a nice surround set with that amount of money (I use headphones right now)

I have a $16 mouse.. it works fine but yeah. just throwing that out there.

I'm open to all ideas, I just want to see what else there is out there, I can't think of everything I could do with that and I want to have a broad horizon of ideas to choose from. Thanks

-Levi

Bobo

banned
Either another GB of RAM, or sell your current processor and use the money to get a 4600 or something

Vampiric Rouge

I would say the Ram or a nice gamming mouse. I know I was in the same spot you where and went for the mouse. But another stick of ram would never hurt.:D

bball4life

another gig of ram would be nice.
Absolutely not, not with your processor, unless you want to sell your gb of ram now and buy a 2gb kit. The memory controller on the amd 64's is on the dye and when you have 4 sticks running your computer will whack out, believe me from my own personal experience. Buy yourself a nice mx 518 and some logitech x530's. That will cost you about $110 to $120 for all of it.

Or look into buying yourself the speakers and a good soundcard, take a little load off of your cpu, that is if the mouse you have is fine.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Absolutely not, not with your processor, unless you want to sell your gb of ram now and buy a 2gb kit. The memory controller on the amd 64's is on the dye and when you have 4 sticks running your computer will whack out, believe me from my own personal experience. Buy yourself a nice mx 518 and some logitech x530's. That will cost you about $110 to $120 for all of it.

Or look into buying yourself the speakers and a good soundcard, take a little load off of your cpu, that is if the mouse you have is fine.

He has 1X1GB stick of ram, so if just buys the same stick again, he'll have 2 sticks running in dual channel.

bball4life

He has 1X1GB stick of ram, so if just buys the same stick again, he'll have 2 sticks running in dual channel.
My bad, yes then that will be a good upgrade, well you will double your ram but mainly because you will be running in dual channel, you won't notice 2GB of ram in anything but very new and demanding games but you will notice the dual channel.