100 percent cpu usage... HELP..

sangbyung

My girlfriend's computer (Compaq 2 years old) has a nasty problem. The CPU usage is 100 percent even there is no application running. I assume that it is a virus or a worm, so I used AVG antivirus+spyware (free versionn) and deleted 37 spywares and 3 virus threats. Even after AVG, the CPU usage didn't change so I used AVAST antivirus and lavasoft spyware system, but still no changes in cpu usage and computer is very slow. is there any other thing I could do to fix this computer?

Geoff

VIP Member
Does task manager say the CPU is using 100% under the performance tab, or are you looking at the "system idle process" process?

sangbyung

there is noticeable slowness in the computer system. When working on it, it just freeezes for 5 seconds, and works again. the cpu usage stays at 100 all the time.

ADE

banned
hmm....well the slow speed is most likely due to low RAM. When the RAM runs out it uses the hard drive as a last resort by writing the info on the hard drive which is left over from what the RAM could not store. The CPU is working to transfer all that data back and forth, and basically, if when you start up, and if all the RAM is gone due to start up programs, then from the start up you will have this problem. This data that is being written on the hard drive, is in a file, (I think its called the paging file) you can manually increase, and decrease this. If the file get full, then both RAM and back up hard drive paging file, then I think your computer can freeze from that, because the computer doesn't know what to do and is still trying to execute this task.

sangbyung

I am school right now so I will go home tonight and see what happens. I will erase unnecessary programs. How do I do recovery?

lostiee

Get more memory. and try system mechanic. Its a good program but it may take up abit of memory/cpu when scanning and performing its tasks.