2 Network problem's

B-MAN

Hi all im an ICT student and im a trainee on a company with a really smal network... i'm the only one with a bit of knowledge of networks there.
But i have 2 problems:

1. (this may be a cause for problem 2) Some times i just lose network connection... when im surfing or copying files (both over internet and LAN) or on IRC. But when im on IRC and stay active (msg "." to an empty channel every minute) it stais connected (on efnet, but quakenet still disconnects now and then).
Is this because of bad wiring/switches/network cards? or is that something the server does?

2. Loging in on the win2k adv. server is really slow. Even if there isn't any other network traffic. (We use roaming profiles).

We use compex NiC's and switches and mostly foiled shielded twisted pair wires. Have only 1 server (win2k adv).

Does anyone know what to do about this? :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So nobody knows?
Im sure somebody knows but we all have other things to do. We don't live here.

on efnet, but quakenet still disconnects now and then
Thats cuz efnet is a "tad" bigger :p

Is this because of bad wiring/switches/network cards? or is that something the server does?
Or just simply power management for the network card.

Loging in on the win2k adv. server is really slow
Sounds like the NIC hasnt been configured (see devmgmt.msc) :)

B-MAN

So i've set my connection from Auto to 100BaseTX full duplex wich seems to work and i unchecked the checkbox to allow my computer to take the power off the NIC to save energy. I hope it works :)