2 or 3 Megapixel?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey guys. I have a question whether it is really worth going for a 3 megapixel camera over a 2 megapixel. Now I have never owned one but I am asking because some of you may have come across this same issue. I do know that the pictures are likely to be of greater detail and size...but is it really worth paying extra? I intend to use the camera during the summer for casual photography.

JAN :D

lynx6200

I would say three is better, but it depends on how much extra it would be. You would just have to figure out if the magapixel/cost ratio is worth it. Like for an extra 20 bucks, maybe so, but i wouldnt spend a whole lot more. You can check the size dimensions for the megapixels online. Like with 2 meg. you can get decent 5x7 photo (dont know exact mesuremnt), and larger sizes with more megapixels.

Adam Warren

whats your budget for the camera. the sony cybershot's are nice cams. and hp has a couple cheap 4.1 ones out that are not to far off from the 3.2 price-wize.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
3 megapixel seems to be the entry point for most digital camera's these days.
I would probably opt for a 3 megapixel camera, but just as important, make sure to get one with an optical zoom instead of digital zoom if your budget allows it.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yeah.

My budget's about 260 US dollars. I definitely want to get a camera with an optical zoom rather than just those without it. I have had a look at those HP cameras but I do not like their look. I like Olympus and Nikon (especially teh Coolpix series). Have any of you gone from 2 to 3 megapixel and noticed a large difference?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I have a nikon coolpix 3100, had it for a while now, it is 3 megapixel with optical zoom. I like some of the fuji cameras which double as a webcam, may want to look into them as well, they are fairly cheap.

kof2000

3 mp i go with d snap even tho no optical it is ultra thin and small fits in pocket. i own one is awesome too bad only 3.3 mp max when will they make a 5mp LOL.

Geoff

VIP Member
if the price isnt that big of a difference, i would get the 3mp. If you have a 2.0mp camera now, then i would buy a camera thats at least a 4.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Nice photos! The camera make good pictures indeed.
It has a slight chromatic aberration tho, as you can see in the pics with the trees. Look at the second tree from the left: the right side of it has a magenta contour, while the left side is yellowish.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yeah my pet indeed.

ian said:
The pictures are excellent, I like my nikon coolpix as well, its really easy to use.
Is that your pet? Im assuming it is a bunny rabbit

Yeah it's my animal. Looks cute ey? Anyway, I have realised that some of the pictures have that purplish tint in some places in certain light conditions. Hmm...anyway, I still love it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. I have a question whether it is really worth going for a 3 megapixel camera over a 2 megapixel. Now I have never owned one but I am asking because some of you may have come across this same issue. I do know that the pictures are likely to be of greater detail and size...but is it really worth paying extra? I intend to use the camera during the summer for casual photography.
Well it kinda depends what you're using it for whether it be on-computer-viewing or print-out-viewing .... 2MP is something like 1600x1200 already so more than sufficient for any on-computer-viewing :) If you want to print-out than 3MP is naturally thr better choice :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Praetor said:
Well it kinda depends what you're using it for whether it be on-computer-viewing or print-out-viewing .... 2MP is something like 1600x1200 already so more than sufficient for any on-computer-viewing :) If you want to print-out than 3MP is naturally thr better choice :)
It's strange, but even a 2 MP camera can provide good printouts. Some time ago I had to make a A3 sized poster with a full-page photo as background with a 2.1 MP camera. I was very skeptical, I thought it will be very pixelated, but surprise: printed on a color laser printer the poster was amazing, one could barely see the pixels on the photo.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It's strange, but even a 2 MP camera can provide good printouts
Yes they most certainly can it depends on what size your final print out will be; when I did digital photoprints anything short of 6MP wasnt a viable option however for reference sake 11MP will allow for a nice big poster :)

I was very skeptical, I thought it will be very pixelated, but surprise: printed on a color laser printer the poster was amazing, one could barely see the pixels on the photo
Using the right paper, some of the inkjets are quite exceptional as well :)