$2000 computer broken?

edwardfrancis

I bought my computer for over $2000. My problem is that it will not run anything. I try to get things from the web and it will never run anything. People told me that it doesn't run because I don't have something called XD or XC, I can't remember which. When I start my computer it says windows, and I thought everything ran on that. How could a $2000 computer not be able to do everything? Thanks. I will try to check this but I will need someone to help me get back here.

g4m3rof1337

Can you tell me everything you know about this computer?
Bought it like that, or custom built, components, last time it worked, ext.
And could it be XP?

Thanks

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
What do you mean "it will not run anything", can you describe in a bit more detail?

Also, what are the specs of your computer?

edwardfrancis

How do I find out the specs. I bought it new and it worked fine and ran all programs fine for a few years then for the last 7 or 8 years or so it doesn't run new programs.

kof2000

i think he's talking about his new 2000 dollars computer that he bought 8 years ago that came with windows 98 or something...

Ben

VIP Member
i think he's talking about his new 2000 dollars computer that he bought 8 years ago that came with windows 98 or something...

I think your right....maybe if its that old, the hard drive is dead? I'm really not sure, it would help if he could provide more details.

Ben

VIP Member
i looked and it says windows 3.1 for workgroups. I bought this in 1993 according to the receipt.

Oh wow....that was a loonnng time ago. The reason nothing is working is because there are no drivers for windows 3.1, no one really uses that anymore, so there's not much of a point. You might want to think about upgrading.

Ben

VIP Member
I doubt it is top of the line now. All parts are most likely outdated, no one is going to use a computer from that long ago, it's not fast anymore, it's really just not worth having. Mind me asking how old you are?

joeswm8

why does it matter how long ago it was. this is an expensive computer and top of the line model.

lol lol lmao rofl

*ahem* sorry

14 years in the computer world is an eternity

thats an old old computer no matter how much it cost back in the day. its worth 10 bucks now

edwardfrancis

I don't understand how a computer is not as fast if it is older. How is a computer considered fast or slow? It sits on a desk. Why does it make a difference? It works and turns on, that's all that matters.

pokemon87654

I have to say that it is impressive that you haven't killed yourself yet with that "piece", lets say you buy another 2000$ computer now, you can expect, 3-4 years of being able to do everything, and 5-8 year... and that pushing it... around the time you need an upgrade. You couldn't sell that computer now, you'd probably have to pay for someone to take if from you :)

Ben

VIP Member
I don't understand how a computer is not as fast if it is older. How is a computer considered fast or slow? It sits on a desk. Why does it make a difference? It works and turns on, that's all that matters.

Well, it may be fast, but only fast for that point in time, newer and faster computer parts have come out, and now that $2000 computer is outdated, and worth around $10. Now, new Operating systems have come out. There is Windows XP, and a newer version, Windows Vista.

Here are some links to show you what they have now.

Windows XP

Windows Vista

NJNETSFAN

A computer gets "old" as new technology comes out. I was only 2 years old when that computer came out, but I'm guessing that that processor in your computer is around 50 mhz where as today's computers are around 3ghz(3,000 mhz) so todays computers have around 60 times more processing speed than yours. Its like you driving in a car at 1 mph and then a car going 60 mph goes by, thats the speed difference you'll see. :)

Ben

VIP Member
A computer gets "old" as new technology comes out. I was only 2 years old when that computer came out, but I'm guessing that that processor in your computer is around 50 mhz where as today's computers are around 3ghz(3,000 mhz) so todays computers have around 60 times more processing speed than yours. Its like you driving in a car at 1 mph and then a car going 60 mph goes by, thats the speed difference you'll see. :)

That's a perfect example, I hope you can understand what we're trying to say.