250W power supply question

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by battle_hamster, Jan 11, 2004.

1. battle_hamster

battle_hamster New Member

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but is a 250W power supply sufficient for a XP 3000 processor, Asus A7V333-x mobo, Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB, a gig of PC2700 RAM, a 7200 RPM hd, Creative soundcard, ethernet card, and FireWire card? Thanks.

2. Aleksey

Aleksey New Member

I'd think yes. I hae an AMD thunderbird, and it consumes about 220W

3. Rick G

Rick G New Member

In my opinion any new computer should be built with a minimum of 350 watt psu. Many of the generic and unknown brands quote a peak watts and not a continous power rating. The newer compunents are a bit power hungary and its best to err on the side of overkill. Many reviews have been done on psu's and the majority recommend Antac, Enermax, Thermaltake, and a variety of others. Get a good brand name and always get more power than you think you need especially if overclocking is in your future.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles VIP Member

A 250 watt power supply might work but its more likely to cause problems especially if you upgrade hardware. I wouldn't consider a power supply that's under 400 watts because the difference in price isn't that much and iy just isn't worth the misery a bad or under supplied power supply can cause.

5. DeerParkWater

DeerParkWater New Member

It will just blow up. I had a system I just made that wasn't as good as yours that had a 300w. It exploded and fried the mobo. I had a warranty on it so it was all good. But had to buy a new psu.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 VIP Member

330watts is minimum in my opinion. anything less shouldnt really be used on a high end machine..and your looks pretty nice. id got for at least a 330wt. i doubt it will BLOW UP...that just sounds like a faulty PSU...but it could give you instability problems if you have alof of fans and hd's running as well. enermax is a great brand and pretty cheap too...look at www.newegg.com for PSU if you want a better one. they have great prices and FAST delievry.

7. Praetor

Praetor Administrator Staff Member

Yeah and considering the prices, you should easily be able to jump to something in the ballpark of 400W and not have to worry. :)