386er workstation OS upgrade?

Canonball

Just got my machine, 386DX-40MHz with ULSI co-processor!, 16Mb RAM, 120Mb HDD, Floppy, parallel, seriell ports, external CD drive, 2Mb ET2000 video card and i want to upgrade from Windows 3.11 to XP to start enjoying Doom3, looks like it will not run on my OS.
Is anybody of you familiar with workstation upgrade?
thx

:confused:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
LOL, it's not even suitable for making tea with it. It takes too long to boil the water... :D
But that doesn't mean that this system is useless. There are a plenty of good DOS and Win3.11 programs you can run on it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what you need: New Processor, New MoBo, >1GB ram, >120 GB HD, DVD-ROM(or RW) drive, an x800 Graphics card, and a new power supply
WTF? Not everyone is born in rich-land.

Cannonball:
While you may be able to install XP (although i highly doubt it), you will not have a fun time with it let alone a game like Doom (or Doom3)

MasakiK

you might be able to put windows 98 max but it'll be laggy. your better off going windows 95 or less. You can get used computers that are 400mhz pentium 2 or higher for only 100 bucks. That can support windows xp if you really want it just turn off the effects for best preformance (such as fading in xp and sharpness)