$50 reward for help with picking components!

tlarkin

VIP Member
I need to fix my site, its ugly. I am too stubborn to download prebuilt CSS and I don't have enough free time to teach myself everything...

dang conundrums

karder

What the crap?!!!
I received an email from Newegg saying that my order had not gone through! So I had to re-order the stuff, but first I called them to make sure that they had not charged me already, which they had not.

Now superstitious as I am, I saw this as a sign of not buying that setup. So I made a few small changes, for the better of course.

Here they are:

Case $54.95 Antec 300
Mobo $129.99 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU $188.99 Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GPU $269.99 SAPPHIRE 100243-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
PSU $144.99 Rosewill RX750-D-B 750W ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 SLI 8800GTX SLI CrossFire Ready Active PFC PFC Power Supply

And I added these to the setup:
Memory $44.99 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

This order went through, because I got an confirmation email this time. The total for this should have been $851.39 but since I got the Motherboard and PSU as a combo, the total came down to $770.39.

I know this was a tad more than my goal from the beginning, but then again, I added 4GB of, according to reviews and research, very good memory. I just hope now that I wont screw (figuratively speaking) everything up once it all arrives. Also I upped the PSU power and Motheboard, so now I have the option to Crossfire baby, should I decide to do so in the future.

Feels like I still got away very cheap. *crossing fingers, throwing salt over shoulder, knocking on wood*

BTW, I did take one of those 27" home from work yesterday, since we had a few extra haha. Now to wait for the rest...

WhiteFireDragon

ahh you ended up changing your order last minute, and switched to a rosewill PSU?? based on the specs, it looks like a decent PSU, however, it's not that reputable. jonnyguru is known to be a great PSU reviewer, and nowhere does he praise rosewill. from what i know, rosewill is newegg's own brand. they pretty much take many generic parts from different manufacturers and rebrand them as their own. i was skeptical of this fact, until one day i saw it on wikipedia. at $145 with an $80 discount, you might as well go with a corsair PSU (the 750TX) at $100 after rebate since the price difference isn't much, as the corsair brand is tried and true. it's the same OEM as seasonic, but the reason why i'd perfer a corsair is because it offers the same quality, but a little lower priced than seasonic or PC P&C.

the memory is a good choice for the price. although if you want to spend another $10 for another gskill that offers tight timing or faster clocks at stock (although you won't see much real world differences), you'll be able to OC the memory more. i consider gskill quality to be on par with mushkins.
ddr2 1000 @ 5-5-5-15
ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12

it looks like you ordered it just really early this morning, so if it hasn't shipped yet, you could still change your PSU or memory if you want to. and btw, would you happen to want to take some more of those 27" home to spare? :D
and my email is [email protected] if you want to "donate" that $25 or any additional questions on your build :)

karder

WhiteFire: No more Newegging for me, tired of it. I will settle with this.

If the PSU lasts 6 monmths, I will be more than happy, between 3-6 I will be satisfied. Less than that and I will be annoyed...

The reason I took pc6400 @ 800 is because I already have 4gb of that lying here at home that I will pair up with those that I bought... And I believe that 8gb of PC6400 @ 800 should be slightly better than 4gb of PC8500 @ 1066 (which were some other RAMs I was considering).

WhiteFireDragon

there comes a point where you'll benefit more from higher speed or tighter timings than capacity. for example, if i had a choice between 8gb of ddr2 667 or 2gb of ddr2 1066, i would go with the 1066mhz one. there's no program out there that will need anything close to 8gb of memory, unless you have something very specific that is written for this. what OS do you have? XP only needs about 2gb, and vista needs about 4gb since it's more of a resource hog. there won't be a noticeable difference if you add any more than this. and make sure the OS is 64bit to use more than 3gb of memory.

since you said you already have those pairs, i wouldn't buy another set since all you need is 4gb, not 8. getting a different set with faster clocks or lower timing is not really worth the $50 upgrade

EDIT: which 2x2gb kit do you already have? if you're going to double it to 8gb, then you should at least at have all 4 x2gb sticks to be identical

Last edited:

karder

WhiteFire: They are identical, I bought the other 2 at Newegg and they are the same brand. Vista Ultimate 64 is my OS. And since I usually have many apps running and I "Alt+Tab" alot, I wanted to be safe with the memory, hence the 8GB total memory. i currently run on those 4 that I have, and sometimes I feel mthat it slows down when I switch between programs...

WhiteFireDragon

sure, get 8gb whether it makes you THINK your comp will be faster or if it's actually faster. either way, your comp will be faster ;)

i was looking at compatible nehalem HSF, and i just remembered you comp did not include a HSF in that build. top performers are xigmatech, OCZ's vendetta2, sunbeam's core contact freezer or a good price/performance ratio. if you want to spend a little more for the king of the hill HSF, the TRUE would do it.