800 dollar special

supersly_jones

hey everyone...i'm looking to build a new computer and i have a 800 to spend on the computer components....plus monitor....the 800 should include the keyboard mouse and any extras...i don't need a printer or scanner...i have all that...the reason i'm asking for your help is that i am sick and tired my the hp...it has crashed 5 times and i've lost all data that wasn't backed up by cd...i need a very stable computer that will handle almost anything...i have the know how to build the computer i'm just having trouble picking components...the computer will be used for internet...cad...lots of first man shooters...and microsoft office programs...i pretty much want the best of everything i can get for 800 bucks...i will go up to a grand if needed...a few questions i have are will my xp running disc for my hp work on this computer?....i don't want to have to buy an xp disc unless i have to....thank you...anything and everything is welcome...only stipulation is that this is the case i want to use....or something like it...http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AT878-BK&cat=CAS

EMO-TOCROSS

well, its already sold. but I was selling it so that I could buy myself a bigger present for x-mas :D

*sigh* you missed it :p

supersly_jones

hows this setup sound?
pentium 550 3.4ghz
abit motherboard
Radeon® 9800 Pro 256
2 Gigabytes of Komusa® PC 3200 DDR DUAL CHANNE
raptor 10000 rpm 74 gig harddrive
duel layer dvd burner
6channel audio card
and a thermaltake shark case...hows this all sound....?

supersly_jones

yeah i know...lol...the 800 went out the window...i didn't find anything i liked to fit that price...i am at 1400 without monitor...i'm thinking a 19" lcd....but for that price is it worth it?...i know it will stomp my parents dell they payed close to 2500 dollars for...i tried steering them away but its so easy to get on the internet build the computer and look at all the fancy words and click buy it now...lol

Echo_

dude if you wanna build a budget pc you cant get everything.
get 1 gig of value ram from corsair maybe
Do not get an lcd!! they are expensive unless you get a higher end one. if you are playing fps you will need ahigher end one and imo it still doesnt compare to a good crt.
find a crt for 150ish
go amd
if your gaming amd is better
i reccomend and xp mobile if you wanna oc. you can oc it like a beast. unless your stepping up your budget... if you are get a amd 64
just get an 80 or so gig 7200 seagate sata seagate or wd raptors are overpriced esp if your builiding a budget system
u dont need a sound card just use onboard
that case is fine
see if you can budget in a 6600 gt which is better than that 9800
and thats about it

4W4K3

VIP Member
Echo_ said:
Do not get an lcd!! they are expensive unless you get a higher end one. if you are playing fps you will need ahigher end one and imo it still doesnt compare to a good crt.
find a crt for 150ish
go amd
if your gaming amd is better
i reccomend and xp mobile if you wanna oc. you can oc it like a beast. unless your stepping up your budget... if you are get a amd 64
just get an 80 or so gig 7200 seagate sata seagate or wd raptors are overpriced esp if your builiding a budget system
u dont need a sound card just use onboard
that case is fine
see if you can budget in a 6600 gt which is better than that 9800
and thats about it

What you just listed isn't even a complete system. And with $800 he can get a fine computer, i spent less on the system i am on now. Since he is now at $1400 he can definetly get a better computer.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-517&depa=1
Socket 939 board is what you want unless you go with a A32 system (which i dont recommend as they are getting extinct fast) Might look into NF4 with PCI-E though...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-500&depa=1
Probably a 3200-3500 socket 939 Processor, unless you want even better, but it will cost ya.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-214&depa=1
eVGA 6600GT card (if you go with an AGP mobo you can save on this as well by getting something else)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-890&depa=1
512MB-1GB of TCCD RAM will hold you up very nice, a DC-kit of good quality (PDP, Pqi, OCZ) is what i recommend. Although you can save and get under $200 kit that will still do good.
($80-150 i would imagine, unless you are overcharged)
Any size HD you can use, dont get a 160GB drive if all you need is a 60GB(unelss its at a wicked awesome sale price). At least 7200RPM drive ,8MB buffer, probably SATA/RAId config.
($60-$100)
Any cheap case will do, depending on what you have left over you can get a nicer one and alot of fans and great cooling.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-890&depa=1
You will probably want no less than a 420watt PSU with good rails and quality build.

All that right there is ~$1300, and thats with a supposed $150 HDD, and $100 case (seperate HDD). Also he can save on the mobo ($269) and jsut get a regular AGP card and ~$150 mobo. But with all that hardware, he still has ~100 to fine a cheap CRT. With some cutbacks, and possibly some well researched deals, he could come out with ~$250 for a monitor.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the computer will be used for internet...cad...lots of first man shooters...and microsoft office programs...i pretty much want the best of everything I can get for 800 bucks...i will go up to a grand if needed
Doable but you're in for a challenge if you want to push the FPS thing on $800 ... especially so if you plan to include a monitor in that.

...a few questions I have are will my xp running disc for my hp work on this computer?
Is it a WXP cd or is it a recovery CD?

hows this setup sound?
pentium 550 3.4ghz
abit motherboard
Radeon® 9800 Pro 256
2 Gigabytes of Komusa® PC 3200 DDR DUAL CHANNE
raptor 10000 rpm 74 gig harddrive
duel layer dvd burner
6channel audio card
and a thermaltake shark case...hows this all sound....?
Sounds nice but you're not getting that for <$800

i'm thinking a 19" lcd....but for that price is it worth it?...
You're asking for the world on a limited budget.

For $800-1000 inclyding a monitor, brands go out the window. ... as does the concept of 1GB (well maybe not but certainly the brand thing)

Socket 939 board is what you want unless you go with a A32 system (which I dont recommend as they are getting extinct fast) Might look into NF4 with PCI-E though...
Even on $1400 ... an SLI setup is outside of that ...

of TCCD RAM
As opposed to non TCCD ram? :confused: ;)

does the higher the socket # mean higherthe speed since theres more pins or wut
No.

Ok maybe the system is doable for even $800 given holiday sales etc (we'll try at least)

Here's a spec:
Athlon64-3400 'Hammer 1MB (225USD)
MSI K8N Neo Platinim (105USD)
Kingmax PC3200 512MB (75USD)
Maxtor 160GB 8MB 7200 PATA (95USD)
LiteOn 52x32x52x16 CDRW/DVDROM Combo (40USD)
Some Case (25USD)
Antec True480 (80USD)
XFX 6600GT AGP 128MB ($220USD)
Net: 865USD

Naturally that's massively prunnable and im sure you can find a monitor on your own to fit into the $1400 upper budget

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Even on $1400 ... an SLI setup is outside of that ...

As opposed to non TCCD ram? :confused: ;)

well yah he'd have to spend money on= 2*video cards to take advantage of it. but i'd like to have the capability just for later upgrades even if i can't use it right away. like you specd though you can save ALOT of money by getting something cheaper and just upgrade later, but you'd have to reinstall everything and all that, maybe reinstall XP...kind of a hassle.

yah TCCD RAM is really performing well on A64 setups and for overclocking it's supposedly the "only" option lol. this is of course a generilization, older sticks will still work fine. you just might not have as big an overclock as you would with TCCD sticks that use BrainPower PCB. if he doesnt want a huge overclock then he can definetly save and get different sticks...

supersly_jones

alright....two things...THE MONITOR IS NOT!! INCLUDED IN THE 800!!...lol...sorry...i relized for what i want i'm going to have to spend more then the 800...i'm getting the 19" lcd for 340....i have 1800 to spend on entire system now...i did have 2grand but i had to renew my tags...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yah TCCD RAM is really performing well on A64 setups and for overclocking it's supposedly the "only" option lol.
/me wonders if 4W4K3 knows what TCCD is .... :confused: (or if you are specifically referring to Samsung TCCDs)