+88 cpu temp Intel 3.2 Dual core

J0efrmcanada

Um enuf said i guess its a different processor that's below...i got a dual core processor and i honestly don't know what to do its a pentium D 775 3.2 its the exteme version minus the hyper threading saves me around 500 bucks so HT didn't appeal to me that much for that much more. So if anyone knows what i should do please let me know much appreciated

Greggie Boy

By reading you heading are you at a temp of 88C or am I reading you wrong. If correct, where are you getting this temp from?

fade2green514

if its that hot then you applied the heatsink wrongly. turn computer off, and reapply it the right way. use Silver 5, it will drop temps 3-5 celsius lower then normal thermal gel. also, make sure the heatsink is clean and purified as well as the cpu having a pure surface. use rubbing alcohol (preferably 90%) to purify the surfaces, and then apply the thermal gel with your hand (inside a plastic sandwhich bag, wouldnt want any skin particles getting in there).
oh and also, when you clean the heatsink with the rubbing alcohol, dont use a paper towel. use some cotton balls, or what i prefer--> coffee filters. they dont leave lint or other particles behind on the heatsink.

J0efrmcanada

re-did the heatsink...

I did what you said and it now runs at 76 at idle is there anything else that i could try, or should i look at getttin a new heatsink or even something like water cooling?

Yeti

VIP Member
1 Are you using the stock HSF?
2 As Greggie Boy said, where are you reading the temps from?
3 Do you know any other temp, ie case or room temp?

J0efrmcanada

My heatsink sux..

Ya its a stock heatsink, and i am using pc probe and another asus tool that came with my motherboard, ya the mobo temp is around 35 and the room temp is at 22 my video card is around 43 right now and that is at idle so any other things that i should try?

i looked into 2 different options if someone wants to give me an opinion on which one to get.. either;

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....dProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=5953&SID=

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....dProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=6063&SID=

Yeti

VIP Member
Those temps seem okay. You really shouldn't be getting 88C with a properly installed HSF unless there is something serious wrong with it (ie its defective). Anyway, the Big Typhoon works very well; my CPU temp stays at about 40C with it at full load. If you want to try other temp monitors Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor are a couple.

J0efrmcanada

Heatsink

Ya i used arctic 5 thermal paste, and i think i did it right its not a hard concept i don't know how i could have messed it up i mean i have done prolly around 5 computers before and never had a problem like this before i guess i can try doin it over again and see what happens let me try that...also my comp seems to start running really slow the longer i have my computer running i used to have a p4 extreme cpu but got some money and got a pentium d u know the dual core thing seemed like a better idea for the future...so are the dual cores just alot slower? or could it be from the heat...the hotter the cpu the slower it goes?

fade2green514

water cooling is a biatch... id go air cooling definitely... especially if you arent ocing... id get this nice $40 heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106048
its quiet and has alot of airflow! also uses heatpipes! its a nice cooler, really.
also, take applying a heatsink very seriously. any particles between the cpu and heatsink can raise temps by alot!
another though-- that $70 heatsink you showed me has a very low fan rpm, and the size of the heatsink is enourmous and probably very heavy, and difficult to install... just go with that other heatsink, its got better airflow and such.

Last edited:

Greggie Boy

I reviewed the detailed specs of your case and if correct, there is no top fan or fan port. A top exhaust fan is an almost "must have" for a system that will generate a lot of heat.
Simple test:: Is the top of your case warmer than the sides??

fade2green514

yea, your power supply has a fan, just like every other power supply. dont worry about case temps as much, because that would only effect your cpu temp by 5celisius max... plus thats a $130 case, im sure it wouldnt be bad for your cpu!

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Greggie Boy said:
I reviewed the detailed specs of your case and if correct, there is no top fan or fan port. A top exhaust fan is an almost "must have" for a system that will generate a lot of heat.
Simple test:: Is the top of your case warmer than the sides??

actually no not really, technically your powersupply should pull out some of the air at the top of your case. Many cases don't have a top fan port and does quite fine.