8th gen with 8GB Ram or 7th Gen with 16 GB Ram?

I want to buy DELL XPS 13 laptop. But i have 2 choices. First is the Intel's 8th generation processor with 8GB Ram and the second is 7th generation with 16 Gb Ram. So what u think is more better. I've heard that 8th gen is more faster and better then 7th, but what about ram? I cant get 8th gen with 16 ram. So please help me. What will be a better choice for me as a future network engineer and kinda i want to use VM with Linux to learn. Thanks for all.

_Glitch

What CPU's are they? Like, if the Gen 8 CPU is a lower tier i5, and the gen 7 is a high tier i5 (or even i7) i might go for the gen 7.
But if they are similar to each other in terms of "mid, high or top tier" i would go for the gen 8.

Remember you can install more ram in the laptop, but you can't install a next gen CPU.

8 gig RAM is enough for most people.
I know you said virtual mashine, and with that it's always good with more ram.
But i still think 8 is good enough, and if not, you can upgrade it for fairly cheep.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
What's preventing you from doing both?

You can always upgrade the RAM later if 8gb is short, .how many vms are you looking to run? Something like gns3 and running a few IOU images (IOS on Unix) suck up ram really fast, same with Cisco VIRL.

Also what's bringing you into networking? Myself and a few others here are network engineers by trade.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Gross. I've seen some instances of that with a single DIMM slot but not 100% soldered. Good to know.
Yea, most ultrabooks offer zero expand ability nowadays. Yet they still charge you an arm and a leg for higher capacity RAM and SSD space. The price gouging is ludicrous.