A new way of taking pictures...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Well, this is quite a distance from unedited, so I'll make a new thread... Last night someone told me about High dynamic range imaging(HDR) Basically, you take a series of pictures using different exposure settings and then combine them using software... For a comparison, here's the picture I took using full auto on my camera.

STD1.jpg

Here's the same picture, but on manual mode(f4.0, ISO100, exposure going in 1 steps) 5 total pictures went into this one...

HDR1.jpg

I realize it's not the best example, but it's my first attempt. And you can see the difference :) I think it's pretty neat stuff. Expect to see more from me later as the weather clears up ;)

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
colours look a bit deeper, looks good, but i cant really say which i prefer (ps I such at photos)

Kornowski

VIP Member
It looks a lot better, I'll have to give a go sometime, How do you know what order and alpha to set the pictures to when combining them?

My camera has a 'Vivid' setting, it looks as if it'll do the same thing, I'll have to test this out.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I have such color settings on my camera too, but I don't know if it does the same thing. If you notice on the top picture, much of the detail is lost around the sky. Many HDR pictures are made so you can still see the sky and the ground clearly. I think a typical "VIVID" setting would simply bring out the colors on the ground, and leave a white sky...

Look around. There are much better examples than what I've done...

speedyink

VIP Member
Yeah, I've seen some pretty kickass HDR photos. Basically, the light is way more evenly distributed, which brings out details that would be under exposed and over exposed in pictures. It's really cool, I've been meaning to try it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I dont know what software to use either..

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Hmm..., yeah, I'm not sure which one I like better either... The leaves and flowers of the rhododendron look better for sure, but the rest of the picture looks like it's got some sort of florescent coloring on it. Perhaps that's just what is going to happen on a rainy/cloudy day like that... I'd be interested to see what other pictures look like.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Here's another attempt at it...again a bad time. Some low clouds were moving by and it was windy(so the trees were moving) Note how you can see the clouds in the second picture.

STD2.jpg

Full manual(f4.0, ISO100, 1/160)

HDR2.jpg

Using the above picture and 4 others(+ and - 2 steps)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Definitely can a MUCH improved picture in the second one. It's nice that you can actuallly see the clouds, instead of the sky being all a really bright, washed out light blue.

PohTayToez

I'd imagine that a photography enthusiast such as you would have a decent camera, so it would have to be quite a bit of shaking to make it blurry.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Just because a camera is digital doesn't mean it'd make any better/less burry pictures. Film and digital cameras both work using the same principles of aperture, exposure, and such... Now my camera does have an image stabilizer, but it still can get rather fuzzy, especially if I go beyond about 3x zoom or over about 1/4 second exposure.

DrCuddles

Why dont you just use the same picture when editing them instead of taking seperate ones?
Wouldnt that get rid of any blur when alpha layering them?

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Check the standard picture posted above. See the detail in the sky? This is none(when compared to the other). You can't "make" details appear that aren't there.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Why odnt you just use the same picture when editing them instead of taking seperate ones?
Wouldnt that get rid of any blur when alpha layering them?

That defeats the whole object, you want the different exposures to get the different lighting effects and detail, simply editing the levels on the computer will do squat.

EDIT:

The_Other_One beat me to it :p
You can't "make" details appear that aren't there.
Yeah, what I was trying to say :D