a question in mathematics...

kufkuf

if we define V1 - velocity of computer work when it has 128 MB 133 MHz
and V2 - velocity of computer work when it has 256MB 100Mhz
is there a way to estimate the ration of V1 to V2 (V1/V2) ?
:eek:

Grimulus

have a Séance and contact einstien, this could be tuff one. :p nah man, i'm just not a good math person, i'm sure someone can figure this out easily. i've done stuff like this, i just don't remember how to do it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
s there a way to estimate the ration of V1 to V2 (V1/V2) ?
Yes there is. Only a few more things have to be defined:
- MST: mean size of of transfer (how much crap is moving around in memory, in MB)
- ATC: average transfer counts (how many accesses to memory per sec)

kufkuf

hi Praetor
10x for your answer.
i'm afraid i don't know the MST & ATC. would Sisoftwere Sandra would show them
if not how can i find out what are their value

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i'm afraid I don't know the MST & ATC. would Sisoftwere Sandra would show them
if not how can I find out what are their value
MST and ATC are very task specific values and so you cant really "convert" PC133 to PC100 and/or vice versa without knowing them. For instance, lots of small files being accessed relies more heavily on the ATC than than the MST (typically ATC and MST are inversely related) while a single lage file xfer would stress the MST (and thus invoke burst mode on the memory) :)

kufkuf

so for the same pupose of executing the same tasks is it possible to campare V1 and V2 without knowing the exact values of MST and ATC ?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless of the task you will have to know the MST and the ATC otherwise any "estimates" are worthless. For instance say we compare 128MB module if PC133 and a 256MB module of PC100. If our test is to xfer a shitload (say 400) files, all 2MB ... the PC133 will get the job done faster. If our test is to xfer a shitload of 500MB files around, the PC100 module will get the job done faster.