ahhhhh..help pleaaaaase!!! :)

hammerhead_05

I was hoping that ANYBODY could help me with a little problem that i have. I make small movies at home through Windows movie maker, and the file that it saves it as, is WMV, and i was wondering how i would go about changing that to a file that is compatible with a DVD player. I heard something about MPEG1 VCD file, but i am still a little confused.:confused: If you have ANY form of information, PLEASE fill me in....
thanx

sezerb

Depends on what type of files the DVD player will play. There are plenty of open source converters that will convert a WMV file to other formats

hammerhead_05

ok...ummm...do you know the most COMMONN file that a DVD player will play?!?!...and are the 'converters' free to download on the web?!?!...or do you HAVE to purchase them through a retailer!?!?:confused:

magicman

VIP Member
The real question is do you have a DVD burner on your computer? Or just a CD burner? If you're talking about VCD files, I guess you've only got a CD burner.

The best piece of freeware kit I have come across would probably be this. It's not very user friendly for a novice, but will do any conversion you will need.

Crazydude185

If you dont like his converter there are alot more on google alot of them have like a 15 day trial thing... which you can just delete it then redownload it and restart the time. I had to find a converter for converting wma files to mp3 files to save space but their are alot just on google just look around a bit. But yea make sure u have a dvd burner i always thought i had one... then i realised it was a cd burner and dvd player, no dvd burner located =/ ...

hammerhead_05

ooooooooooooooooooo dang.....lol....you have to actually have the proper burner?!?!....what the crap!...does anybody know how i am able to determine if i have a DVD burner and not just a CD burner?!?! Is there something i can click on that lets me know?!?!....WAIT....OMG!:eek: i am looking at my computer right now, and it says on one of the trays "hp DVD writer/cd-writer combo!!!!!!!!!.....omg....does that mean i have the burner!?!?...so then if i DO actually have it....then i SHOULD be able to download that software and then convert it all?!?!:rolleyes: tshhhh! Im on a roll! haha thanx for all your help....you all rock!!!!!!!

magicman

VIP Member
I love the amount of enthusiasm in that last post. Very rarely do we get that. :p

Seems like you do have the right optical drive, and the right converter software, in that case. You'll need to convert to .vob format, now it is possible to create fancy menus and such like on professional dvd's (not with this software though). But that's by no means nessecary, and just burning plain .vob files onto a disk (you'll need DVD-R disks from a shop if you don't already have some) should work fine, it'll go right into playing it when you insert the disk.

You'll need software to burn the actual disk, but something like this should be all you need.

hammerhead_05

Magicman, you are so freekin' helpful......lol :D .....but i do have another question. Ok, so, i downloaded som retarted program that was supposed to convert the files i needed in to a DVD....BUT...it did'nt work....i dont think......i converted a movie of mine WMV to a different file...i clicked on "DVD" and then i had the option of clicking on "NTSC" or "PAL", i chose each one seperately and burnt them both to a DVD+R .....and i inserted them in to 2 different DVD players in my house and it didn't work in either of them "incorrect disc" is what it says on the screen. OK....so....you say something about .VOB file?!?!....:eek: ...lol...so i looked for a converter that directly transferes WMV to VOB....and i found nothing....maybe i am not looking in the right place.....heck, i dont know!...lol.....is there a certain site i can get it from?!?!:confused:
OK, so lets say that you know of a converter that can get me in to "VOB" from "WMV"....and i convert it...so them my movie is in "VOB"....k....great...NOW...can i just burn that straght to a DVD+R?!?! I use a program called "burn4free CD & DVD" (I had to DL that cuz the windows burner just stopped working....but with this "burn4free" thing, it works just fine.) So, is there a certain button that i have to click to burn it as a "DVD" format?!?!...or do i just burn the file that is in VOB like anything else!?!...............soooo......lol...if i burn the VOB file on to a DVD+R, then when i place it in to a DVD player, it should start to play!??!!?!?!?!?!?!:eek:
I swear Magicman....if i can get one of my movies that i make through windows movie maker to play in a regular DVD player....i will buy a plane ticket and fly my butt out there and give you the biggest freekin' hug you will have ever had!!!!!!!!!:eek: hahahaha.....not really..but i will be really excited!!!!
so, i guess the most important thing right now is if you know of a place/converter that i can DL to get WMV to VOB...
Dang....sorry for such a huge essay......but i have been trying to figure this thing out for like a year now:( and its really drivin' me nuts! LOL

i would appreciate ANYthing you have to say
thanx,
-hammerhead-

Bobo

banned
hammerhead_05 said:
Magicman, you are so freekin' helpful......lol :D .....but i do have another question. Ok, so, i downloaded som retarted program that was supposed to convert the files i needed in to a DVD....BUT...it did'nt work....i dont think......i converted a movie of mine WMV to a different file...i clicked on "DVD" and then i had the option of clicking on "NTSC" or "PAL", i chose each one seperately and burnt them both to a DVD+R .....and i inserted them in to 2 different DVD players in my house and it didn't work in either of them "incorrect disc" is what it says on the screen. OK....so....you say something about .VOB file?!?!....:eek: ...lol...so i looked for a converter that directly transferes WMV to VOB....and i found nothing....maybe i am not looking in the right place.....heck, i dont know!...lol.....is there a certain site i can get it from?!?!:confused:
OK, so lets say that you know of a converter that can get me in to "VOB" from "WMV"....and i convert it...so them my movie is in "VOB"....k....great...NOW...can i just burn that straght to a DVD+R?!?! I use a program called "burn4free CD & DVD" (I had to DL that cuz the windows burner just stopped working....but with this "burn4free" thing, it works just fine.) So, is there a certain button that i have to click to burn it as a "DVD" format?!?!...or do i just burn the file that is in VOB like anything else!?!...............soooo......lol...if i burn the VOB file on to a DVD+R, then when i place it in to a DVD player, it should start to play!??!!?!?!?!?!?!:eek:
I swear Magicman....if i can get one of my movies that i make through windows movie maker to play in a regular DVD player....i will buy a plane ticket and fly my butt out there and give you the biggest freekin' hug you will have ever had!!!!!!!!!:eek: hahahaha.....not really..but i will be really excited!!!!
so, i guess the most important thing right now is if you know of a place/converter that i can DL to get WMV to VOB...
Dang....sorry for such a huge essay......but i have been trying to figure this thing out for like a year now:( and its really drivin' me nuts! LOL

i would appreciate ANYthing you have to say
thanx,
-hammerhead-
Ummm, that was a little bit too much excitement. It would really help if you separated your paragraph into smaller segments, and used proper grammar, it makes it a bit easier to read. ;)

The problem might be that you are using a DVD+R. Some DVD players only support DVD-R. Look on the DVD player, it should list what it supports, many even support CDs.

Also, what will really help you is if you pick up a copy of Nero (7 Ultra can be found as low as $20 if you look hard, but 6 is good too) which will automatically do all the conversions for you. I have Nero 7 Ultra, and I absolutely love it.

p.s. can I get magicman's hug if I fix it? :D lol....

magicman

VIP Member
Hehe, I will check it over in the morning. Bobo's right, if you can get DVD-R disks, they in theory have a better chance of success. If you can tell us exactly what type of dvd player you have, we can see what it supports. For the time being though, I'm ever so slightly drunk, so I'll have a look in the morning. And Bobo, if you want the hug, you are welcome to it. :p

Bobo

banned
magicman said:
For the time being though, I'm ever so slightly drunk, so I'll have a look in the morning. And Bobo, if you want the hug, you are welcome to it. :p
Lol! ....well I really dunno here, :rolleyes::D

And one other thing to check is exactly what kind of discs your burner can handle. I am not sure what would happen if you put a DVD+R disc in and it couldn't handle it, but it is possible. Do you know what the exact model number is? (for both the burner and the player)

Last edited:

hammerhead_05

ok....i checked the DVD player...and it says "CRAIG DVD/compact disc player"
and then it says MP3, compact disc digital audio, DtS, & Dolby Digital....i have no clue what the crap that means:confused: ....but yea...thats what it says.
I also went to best buy, and told them about my problem....said that there is no software that i can purchase in order to transfer WMV to anything that will play on a standard dvd player.....i was like:mad: great! LOL
But yea, i will check back in to see what you have to say:D
thanx, you are a big help!!!

hammerhead_05

sorry....i didn't see the last post...but this is the model #CVD328. Oh, and i looked at the BACK of the dvd player, and it said NOTHING about "DVD+R", but it did say "DVD/MP3/CD-R/CD-RW/CD Player"...

magicman

VIP Member
Sorry I haven't checked this thread for a while.

I'm not quite sure what stage we're at. Can I just recap?
I also went to best buy, and told them about my problem....said that there is no software that i can purchase in order to transfer WMV to anything that will play on a standard dvd player.....i was like great! LOL
That's rubbish. There's plenty of programs out there, some cost money, some don't. The best free one I linked you to above (here). But it's not very user friendly, so you may think it worthwhile investing in something like WinAVI. That's pretty much foolproof. It can convert wmv files into the proper VIDEO_TS folder, then you just burn that whole folder to the disk.
Oh, and i looked at the BACK of the dvd player, and it said NOTHING about "DVD+R", but it did say "DVD/MP3/CD-R/CD-RW/CD Player"...
I still think that DVD-R's would be the best bet, you've got the burner, you've got the player, and you probably need the disks if you haven't bought them. I don't see any reason why your player wouldn't recognise it, but the best way to find out is to do it.

If there's any more information you need, I will try and check this thread more regularly now. :)

hammerhead_05

sweet...ok....i already DLed the free one.....but i can't really figure it out. Do you know what file i should save it as?....again, i am going from WMV... :)

thanx

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yeah, about Best Buy, I usually go in there just to toy with them and their lack of knowledge. So, the moral of the story is, BEST BUY'S WORD IS NOT GOD!!! (we could start a whole other thread about that subject ;)...)

Last edited:

hammerhead_05

Ok, so, it turns out that i have downloaded this:

http://www.alloksoft.com/wmv.htm

I have the trial version, and i converted one of my files from WMV to AVI and i also tried the DVD thing. After i converted them, i burned them to a DVD+R, and also a regular CD. After doing that, i took both CD's to my DVD player, and they BOTH do not work:( I just dont know what to do.

If you go to that site above, scroll to the middle of the page to see the text written in blue....what file should i save it as to be able to play in a DVD player?!?! I am just so lost!
PLEASE leave any ideas.....
THANX!

magicman

VIP Member
Well I tried the program myself just to see, and like I suspected, while the program advertises itself as converting to DVD, all it does is convert files to DVD-compliant MPEG-2 as well as demuxed audio and video. While all that may sound complicated, all it means is you'd have to do more work with the files to get them to play in a DVD player.

If you're happy to experiment with trials, download a trial that I know for a fact will work - WinAVI. In selecting the DVD output option on there, it makes 2 folders called AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. The first one is empty, but both together is what a DVD is made of, so just burn those to a disk and you should be home free. Because it's a trial, you'll get a message plastered all over the encoded video, but as I said it's the best non-freeware in my view, and if you're going to use it a lot it'll be worth investing in it.

hammerhead_05

OOOOMMGGG!!.:D ok, so i downloaded that program that you said to...and i transfered my file....and JUST like you said, it created 2 folders, i burned BOTH of them to a CD and my computer played them fine (with a CONSTANT message in the middle of the screen saying to buy the program!.lol) and i put it in my DVD player, and SOMETHING happened. A screen popped up and it had the 2 folders Audio_ts and video_ts, but it wouldn't let me play them, i could only toggle with them....
Any other suggestions?!..maybe i did something wrong...maybe there was something i was supposed to click that i forgot.....:(

thanx bud, you are getting me SO close...i can smell the victory....AALLLLMOOOST THERE:D