Am I the only nerd with liquid cooling?

Dave2k

I'm a fresh face around here and I've got a koolance pc2-601 case w/ all water blocks. My cpu ambient temp is 17C (on a good day).

Ill post photos later, anyone else running a liquid cooling rig? (i know you're out there)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You're not the only nerd with liquid cooling .. i would too except its not worth it to me... if im gonna go that route (which i will), i'll be firing up a vapochil unit -- do it properb

Dave2k

i heard the vapochill setups were quite hard to maintain.

liquid cooling with koolance prefab was the best route for me for the $$.

I had built a liquid cooled system myself and there was just too much crap going wrong.. heh

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The units arent actually that hard to maintain (nor setup, over the summer i built four or five such rigs .. not hard at all) ... the only problem is i dont get to use my uber-loud fans anymore which, along with the hefty pricetag has been the two things stopping me from grabbing such a unit

Dave2k

bah, fans are only good up to a certain point. then they become more of a headache than they are worth.

id go with a stock watercooling setup, then switch parts out to whatever your specs are.
i took my 34C stock koolance setup, changed the waterblocks, and 2 fittings for 1/2" the n back to 3/4" through the blocks (for more pressure flow) and added more additive to the solution.. and now my setup is down to 17. ;p

http://dave2k.org/~temp/hateparade/proof.jpg

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
bah, fans are only good up to a certain point. then they become more of a headache than they are worth.
Headaches are good..... they help me stay awake :)

id go with a stock watercooling setup, then switch parts out to whatever your specs are.
VapoChill case cooler. PWNED :D

Dave2k

bah
fine, gloat. you're allowed to. but id like to see a liquid cooled setup beat mine ;p

Dave2k

imjacktoo said:
Dave2k, are u running that at 3000+ speed like 2.16Ghz or are u running at
3.0Ghz????

uh. 2.16......... i dont know where anyone would get 3.0ghz

unless amd released a super secret version of the axp

4W4K3

VIP Member
mobiles will get you to 2.8+....dont think i ever seen a 3ghz score though. you'd need vapochill or something $$$$ for that.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
fine, gloat. you're allowed to. but id like to see a liquid cooled setup beat mine ;p
Vapochil and Prometria make liquid units too (and dont forget vapor phase is kinda a fluid :p) ... on a more serious note, what's the peltier (if u have one) you've got on your setup? :)

you'd need vapochill or something $$$$ for that.
Vapochills can be had in the sub-$900 pricerange now (which is very affordable considering the rest of their lineup sitting at $2K). Their water setups can be had for $150 :)

imjacktoo

I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but I thought u spend all that time and money on a water system to o/c your CPU as far as u can go ....Not run it at 3000+ speed.....

Enlighten me please, is there a reason why u want just a cool system...

Ur water cooling that system and not trying for 2.8Ghz or something like that...

4W4K3

VIP Member
imjacktoo said:
I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but I thought u spend all that time and money on a water system to o/c your CPU as far as u can go ....Not run it at 3000+ speed.....

Ur water cooling that system and not trying for 2.8Ghz or something like that...

exactly what i was wondering about. if i was even gonna consider watercooling i would want a 600-800mhz overclock outta my system lol. aircooling got me 600...but it poops out past 237fsb lol.

Dave2k

heh
i have had it at 3200+, and thats what it ran at for quite some time.

however i dont feel like spending money if i do blow a processor.

i've already been there and done that with the extreme overclocking thing. 2500+ to 3000+ is fine for me

4W4K3

VIP Member
i never blew a processor before...but even if i did $94 isnt bad for a new one lol. id rather blow this board so i could get a new one...providing it didnt take anything with it lol.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Because (a) they felt like it (and its their money and if they dont want to so be it) and (b) just because Person A can OC by 600Mhz does not mean Person B with the same setup and coolers can OC even 100Mhz.

wow lol...thats like 2 months of car insurance for me lol.
I get around that by walking :p

I can answer that quite well as that is my philosophy to a degree
1. Bragging rights are not all about CPU speed -- you can always ramp a CPU faster... whooppee... but can you run it at -40C under stress?

2. Depending on the cooler you've got .... is it good enough to start dropping your room temperature? (or at least the air around your case?)

3. For people like me who leave windows and doors wide open in -20C weather ... cold is good. The colder the better. Plain and simple.

I think ive alluded to this above but for the record, anyone who knows anything about OCing (no offence intended whatsoever) knows that not all chips (same model, revision etc) are made the same .. ditto for mobo, chipset, ram, etc. This means that not all chips can OC the same.

exactly what I was wondering about. if I was even gonna consider watercooling I would want a 600-800mhz overclock outta my system lol. aircooling got me 600...but it poops out past 237fsb lol.
First year computer architecture or some engineering/design course about CPUs etc will quickly reveal to you that CPUs are more than fast enough. The bottleneck is the memory/hdd/interlinks etc.

never blew a processor before...but even if I did $94 isnt bad for a new one lol
Not everyone has $94 to buy a new one (nor can wait for shipping). If i always had $94 around i'd have a 4-way Dual Core Opteron setup as a renderlab by now.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Not everyone has $94 to buy a new one (nor can wait for shipping). If i always had $94 around i'd have a 4-way Dual Core Opteron setup as a renderlab by now.

oh i know trust me lol. i havent had more than $20 in my wallet for a few months now. i just meant its alot cheaper than replacing a 3.2C intel or something that would cost alot more.

imjacktoo

Dave2k...I understand...I have a friend does the same thing..He really gets into it but not for the O/C but to get the coolest system...He spends money left and right on it....

He built his own system that has 2 heater cores and them big 120mm Delta fans on them..He is never satisfied...