AMD Setup

Cab00se

Hey everyone,

I can't even begin to tell you how much I've wrestled over the past year with this issue. This thread I thought about for the past 3 days before posting it, but I think I am finally ready to begin final preparations.

I am going to build because it is the most cost effective method I've found and I want an AMD system. I've been reading a lot of your posts and I know that the X2 processor sounds good for the future which I want this computer to be good enough (with minor upgrades like video and ram) to last me the next 3 years of college.

Basic needs are a computer and a new monitor because the current 15" LCD screen hurts my eyes and gets too dusty. This is for mostly gaming with basic school needs like word processing and what not.

I am thinking of the following with a budget of pretty much I'd like it to be under 1500 but preferrably less than that.

CPU: AMD X2 processor /// AMD 64 (whatever is best for future)
GPU: 7900GT or GTX, or ATI equiv, in SLI or crossfire eventually but one for now.
PSU: to fuel SLI/Crossfire
Ram: 2gigs
Motherboard: SLI//Crossfire compatibility
Monitor: I'm thinking of a 17"CRT because I have one now and love it
HDD: I only need one and nothing crazy maybe like 120gigs or so, never used more that 30 in any case. 7200 rpm is fine there.

The monitor doesn't have to be included in the price because I will sell my current one and get the money for that. But if it could be under with the monitor that would be awesome.

Note that I only want one video card now and I will get another in a few months to complete the SLI.

Like I said this is for gaming over the next 3 years and I'm willing to throw money into it every so often but not completely revamp it for at least 3 years. And hopefully this will all run vista ok, I'm assuming it will though...

I really appreciate your insights and have greatly benefited from your knowledge thusfar.

PC eye

banned
For the cpu you may also wonder about the Opteron 165 to 185 dual core models there for Socket 939 boards. ATI Crossfire will see better performance with the higer end cards. A good Enermax or even Antec True Power 550w supply would go in there while the TP 480w would work. If deciding on an Asus or MSI board Kingston, OCZ, Corsair are the better names. And gee, I just came across a BenQ 19" viewable lcd with a response time of 2ms. You won't find too many larger screened model with that fast of response. They usually see between 4-8ms at best. http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3876308

Cab00se

Those are some helpful reviews thanks, but I'm sort of torn between SLI and Crossfire, I'm somewhat loyal to ATI because they've never steered me wrong but they are so pricey in comparison to the 7900 series.

Also, how crucial would it be to have a toledo say 4400 over a 4200 Manchester X2 cpu

PC eye

banned
One advice seen often is to "leap in large increments" when upgrading so as not fall behind every six months or so. On one board I saw three cpus in a row due to eventually wanting performance as well as cpu speed. That was in a relatively "short" time frame. January 2007 sees a much diifferent approach when going after the top model cpu and memory and ATI video card(s) along with either an Asus or MSI board. It should cost a few bucks. But I can run it for a few years when I get done.

Cab00se

PC eye said:
One advice seen often is to "leap in large increments" when upgrading so as not fall behind every six months or so. On one board I saw three cpus in a row due to eventually wanting performance as well as cpu speed. That was in a relatively "short" time frame. January 2007 sees a much diifferent approach when going after the top model cpu and memory and ATI video card(s) along with either an Asus or MSI board. It should cost a few bucks. But I can run it for a few years when I get done.

uh, I don't really understand where you are going there

EDIT: I was reading some more about this this morning and some say that having one card is better than the SLI gains of two lesser cards. So they say instead of getting two 7900GTs if you just buy say a x1800XT or even a x1900XT then it would be better. This because I play my games geneerally at 1280x1024 or 1024x768 but I prefer the former. Never above that really because then its just too small. If that helps any...

Last edited:

Cab00se

sometime in the next month probably it's for next semester at school and the next 3 years of college

PC eye

banned
The idea of going in large increments is to avoid the need for hardware swapouts at every other corner when the price on something better drops or some new model comes just beef up your system more. If you were right now running a dx486 desktop and wanted a new case would you go with an Intel P2 AT case or an Updated P4 or even AMD Socket 939 system?

Cab00se

the point is I need to build the base line computer now that will last me at least 6 months before it needs more ram or a new video card or what not

Are you suggesting waiting for AM2 or something or are you just making a comment

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
If you want a basic setup the AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ installed on a board that can be boosted later to an FX or even Opteron model would suffice cost wise since recently the 3000+ was spotted for only $145-. A pair of 1gb performance dimms would be the next item if you are not planning to boost to 2gb later. Make sure you go with a flexible model board to see this though. Plan for keeping the bios up to date for the eventual upgrade to a dual core cpu. If the problem here mainly is budget shop around for the OEM deals along with rebates for video and sound.

Cab00se

I was planning on just getting an X2 processor in the first place,
I don't see the point in degrading all the way back down to a AMD 64 base model when the X2's are pretty cheap right now.

My question is just what video card and processor/mobo should I get I have pretty much everything else taken care of in my mind. Those are all interdependent on each other in terms of Crossfire or SLI and the processor.

PC eye

banned
The NVidia 7900GT seems to the top of that line while the new X1900XT sees a higher performance value with that high end model. In order to utilize either the SLI or Crossfire you will probably want two identical cards to see the best results. Get one now for general use until you are ready for the addition there. As far as mobos I will going with Asus or MSI on the next build. I have been looking over the specs on both brands before making the final there. For a cpu I'll probably run with the Opteron 185 for the finish with 2-3gb of ram. That will last a few years with just that there.

If you are not planning to OC heavily the 3800+ X2 should be a good temp model to go with pricewise as indicated earlier. Unfortunately AMD's site is down for maintainence where you can look over the comparison charts at this time. But you are set on AMD anyway. Price shop the vendors for the highest you can go on the dual core line within your budget. If you can grab a better X2 for a few bucks more go for it.

mrbagrat

banned
Wait till June/July for AM2 to come out. Prices for socket 939 stuff is supposed to drop around 50 $, then maybe you could afford a nice 19" LCD. :)

EDIT: Like this one.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Under "Play Machines" you will see cpu models listed. The budget build runs either the AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ on many configurations while the 4200+ X2 is seen on several. For boards you will see Asus and MSI models listed.

Cab00se

mrbagrat said:
Wait till June/July for AM2 to come out. Prices for socket 939 stuff is supposed to drop around 50 $, then maybe you could afford a nice 19" LCD. :)

EDIT: Like this one.

Well I just got back from talking with a knowledgeable guy at a store and I've decided to go with a AMD x2 4400 Toledo core and probably a single PCI-E mobo and get the best card instead of two cheaper in SLI. Probably going with the x1900XTX because ATI has more options for the AA/HDR and games I play.

So it might cost me more now but I'm sure it will come out later. Then I can get one of those Monitors like above for X-mas.

Also, for PSU he recommended a 600W Enermax Liberty I think, any good?

so basically this is what it might look like

X2 4400 Toledo
x1900xtx
2gb pc3200 corsair, geil, or mushkin
7200rpm Seagate hdd
mobo perhaps http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081
Asrock was recommended as a good one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157087

either of those

probably the Coolermaster Centurian 5 case
600w enermax liberty or antec trupower II 500w
and some nifty LED fans and what not to make it all look pretty in the window :p

thanks for any additional input, you're really helping me out here

PC eye

banned
You'll have plenty of power with Enermax 600w to play around with for sure. Antec has a good line of supplies as well with their TP 550w. I have been from many on going with ASRock boards while still being a diehard for either Asus or MSI. Corsair or Kingston are two brands preferred here for memory. But I do favor Western Digital over Seagate strongly while will never go with any Maxtors.

Some years back when a Seagate 1.2gb crashed a WD 1.4gb went into the Packard Bell. That drive is still going strong to this day. In fact I still have a few WD 500mb drives hanging around here somewhere. That 4400+ should work quite well for your needs there along with ATI model. Let us know sometime on how well the ASRock mobo goes for you.

Cab00se

yea, i will be sure to tell you all,

but lol,

this http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/09/ati_and_nvidias_same_day_mega_launch_mayhem/page13.html

shows to me that two 7900GT's kick the crap outta one x1900xtx in CS:S but I dunno now.

I'm pretty set on the processor and everything else I just need to know about video card and obviously that will effect mobo. So confusing in terms of SLI being better or one x1900xtx etc. Darn them for making confusion competition