Anything to know about using a lcd tv as a monitor?

revo2.5

Hello. I am needing a new tv, and since I am still using an old 17 inch crt monitor, I thought I would combine interests and just get a 30 or 32 inch flat pannel tv and use it for both. Is there anything special I should know about this? I am assuming I need to continue to find one with dvi. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chris

If your video card has a S video or component video output then you just need a TV that has the corresponding inputs. Even if your video card does not have that type of output you can buy adapters to convert the video card output to like a composite video or something along that lines.

revo2.5

LCD tv's of that size are in a very low resolution, to low for comfortably pc use.

You could however, get A 24" widescreen computer LCD monitor and use your tv on that with a capture card.

Most 30" LCD tv's 1366x768Pixels
Most 20" LCD computer monitors. 1600X1200
The low resolution is something I had knida thought about, but that really brought it back.

LCD Tvs can be rather expensive compared to CRTs. Are you ok with your budget?
No, but I have convinced myself it is for school. :)

If your video card has a S video or component video output then you just need a TV that has the corresponding inputs. Even if your video card does not have that type of output you can buy adapters to convert the video card output to like a composite video or something along that lines.
Mine has the standard d-sub out I think is what it is calles, as well as s-video and dvi.

I am thinking what I might end up doing is going the regular monitory route, probably somewhere in the 20+ inch range. Just the more I think about it, a high-def tv would just still have too low of resolution. Then with the little bit of extra money that I would be saving compared to getting a 32 inch, upgrading my computer.