Attacked By Rogers!

Sypher04

Get a load of this...

Today at 2:49pm my Norton Personal Firewall 2004 blocked a Trojan. Now normally this would be nothing to post about, but here is where it gets interesting.

After doing a visual trace on the IP address i was able to pinpoint the source of the threat.

Rogers Cable Inc.
1 Mount Pleasant Road
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
M4Y-2Y5

Does that not seem a little odd to you?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Rogers does that a lot (confirming that you are still connected to their network etc) and NIS/NPF often track this as a trojan even though its just a series of port scans. Now unless you have undeniable proof otherwise, it's probably just NIS/NPF having a hissy-fit over something. Shouldnt be something to be worried about :)

Sypher04

Oh, okay.
It took me by surprise when i first traced it to Rogers, but what your saying makes sense... At least it was blocked.

Anyways Thanks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL yeah... Norton can get a bit "jittery" ... of course if this is an hourly occurance then you have a problem heehee. Usually they dont "refresh" more than a few times a day :)

Sypher04

Hey just curious.

You know a lot about computer hardware,software and peripherals, are you self-taught or college educated?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I started learning back in '91-'92 thanks to the "Dream Computer" issue of PCMagazine of all things. It was a useful mag because not only did the article outline what was the best of the best ... it was the first time I had read an article that objectively (or seemingly at least) took the time to explain the criteria and stuff. I read through the glossary of a couple "computer hardware books" (Mike Minassi, author, is a genius) and had a general idea for what I was going.

Somewhere in highschool (~1996) I started taking computer tech classes and found i had a knack for being able to take apart computers and reassemble them faster than anyone in my class and to be one of the few (unfortunately) that could not just come up with an opinion but also have a fact-based argument to back it up. Since then Ive been knee-deep in computers.

As for formal learning.... didnt learn much in highschool but i'm really learning some neat stuff in University (Software Engineering @ University of Waterloo) now and hopefully both University and College (Software Engineering Technician @ Conestoga) next term.

Sypher04

Wow, thats cool
Engineering can be a tough thing to get into

Have you ever had an issue with getting schedules late in the summer? for your classes, that is? Like the last week of August.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever had an issue with getting schedules late in the summer? for your classes, that is? Like the last week of August.
Schedules? LOL We dont get to pick classes -- virtually at ALL. Not till 3rd Year and even then we get to pick the ORDER rather than the classes. Our courses are virtually all plotted out for us from start to finish ... its’ easier in that we dont have to deal with the stupid online course application engine but we also get no flexibility either (and 7 courses a term)

Sypher04

ya. I'm entering college in the fall and i'm just getting frustrated with the one im going to. They are slow.

They told me that i'm not picking my times (which i have no issue with) but i can't find out what they will be until August 28th, and i need to work around a job schedule.

It's all messed up