bandwidth eating virus

Nik9999

HI,
I have about 19 computers joined on a LAN. a few days ago our internet became really slow. we found that we had two files: winconfig and fmenass that were the root of the problem. we deleted them, ran hijack-this and disabled drive sharing over the network. The next day, in the evening the internet became slow again and we noticed that we now had a file called nortonav (instead of winconfig) that had the same effect (slowed down my internet completely). Also, somehow the drive sharing had been automatically enabled. Spooky! We did the same thing again, then it was infected again and hen i did the same steps for the 3rd time and its a little better now. Please help....it keeps coming back.
Thanx in advance
-Nikki

pipit

a few computers in my Laboratory had the same problem(i think). but, the internet only slow when we use IE. until now my admin doesn't come with idea how can it happen?? But, after we use opera, the internet run more quickly. is this the same problem with Nik9999???

Blind_Arrow

strange virus you've been telling about? send it to Norton for research :) and name it terminator virus (I'll be back) hahahaha, sorry am of no help, are you running any virus scanner?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
A quick way to do a test is to change the time of the system clock (either just Windows or BIOS and/or both).

:)

pipit

Actually i'm not responsible for administrator thing(I'm just a lab user).
yes, actually my admin has run many kind antivirus(the new updates of Norton/symantec for example). --> i forget what spesific antivirus he use.
but, that doesn't make any improvement.
but, at last we all just use opera or modzilla to overcome the problem.

(btw, hope all of u be passion with me as i really new in computer things. and sory if i made a mistake in named anything)

Blind_Arrow

its ok, if the connection si fine with mozilla/opera, means that this virus isnt for the internet connection, may be cirroupted IE files, that has prevailed over LAN. thats Y i myself use firefox, good looks good performance

charly

if you're running on lan with 19 comp, than your admin should have activated the
log protocoll to watch and report. does the log display any access to that files/process ?

you might have a trojan instead of virus. use trojancheck or evido trojanchecker.