best comp

n00b021

i have like 20g's to spend and want a new comp. that being my limit, what can i get? i want the best of the best and only the best

robina_80

20,000 fcuk me instead of spending that much on a computer spend it on a car, what you want it for gaming or media id say max is 2,000 gbp and thats with monitor speakers mouse keyboard all in one printer etc etc

Dr Studly

banned
robina_80 said:
20,000 fcuk me instead of spending that much on a computer spend it on a car, what you want it for gaming or media id say max is 2,000 gbp and thats with monitor speakers mouse keyboard all in one printer etc etc
$20,000 is basically pointles... do like $15,000... (including monitor and speakers...)
bb in 20 minutes and i will whip something up for you... (it would be better buying a $2,000 computer every 2 years for 10 years tho)

robina_80

ok ive got a dogs bollocks gaming pc for just over 2,000 gbp
NZXT Lexa Aluminum Case Silver/Black with Side Window w/o PSU £87.41
AMD AM2 FX 62 Windsor Core, Dual Core 2.8GHz, 1MB x 2 Cache, Retail £690.30
NEC ND-4571 Labelflash Black x5 RAM x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer DVD-Writer OEM UK £25.49
1Gb ASUS 7950GX2, PCI-E(x16),Standard, 1200 MHz, GPU 500 MHz, 48 Pipes, S-Video/TV Out 2 x Dual Link £388.93
750Gb Seagate ST375064AS Barracuda 7200RMP, SATA2, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, , NCQ £264.95
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Keyboard/Mouse £85.29
2GB (2X1GB) Corsair TwinX Pro LED, DDR2 PC6400 (800), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12 £220.90
20" Viewsonic VA2012W TFT ,1680x1050 ,8 ms ,600:1 ,300 cd/m2 ,Speakers, Grey £281.87
ASUS M2V VIA K8T890, Socket AM2, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 800, SATA I / II, SATA RAID, ATX £57.15
1100W Tagan Quad SLi Quiet 21db Also support 12v EPS/SATA/XEON 3 Years Warranty ATX/BTX £234.87
Creative GigaWorks Pro Gamer G500 5.1 THX Certified Speaker System Massive! 310W RMS £174.83
Epson Stylus DX3800/3850 All In One Printer/Copier/Scanner 5760x1440dpi £59.23

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
n00b021 said:
i have like 20g's to spend and want a new comp. that being my limit, what can i get? i want the best of the best and only the best

If you are resourced and have some essential experience with custom cases you can generally put a decent gaming system for even as low as $1,500 US. :) Reading the performance reviews on different hardwares can give you a good idea on just what you would like to see included in a new build. If you are inexperienced in custom building you could first select the highest rated components and then have a good tech assemble the case for you. The cost there however sees an increase due to labor.

n00b021

ive heard about conroeand really dont want to wait that long. i was thinking something with a fx62 and 4 or 8 gigs of ram . can you sli a 7950gx2? oh and its usd not uk money

jimmymac

VIP Member
just what is it you want to use this for that would warrant spending $20,000

forgive me for being a bit sceptical

n00b021

well i want to play games at max max settings, use it as a pvr, multi task, all that good stuff.i also want a lot of bragging rights

Geoff

VIP Member
n00b021 said:
ive heard about conroeand really dont want to wait that long. i was thinking something with a fx62 and 4 or 8 gigs of ram . can you sli a 7950gx2? oh and its usd not uk money
If you dont want to wait a month, then the FX-62 is a great choice. As for the RAM, honestly I would go with 2GB since you have a much wider selection of 1GB sticks, then you do 2GB sticks. Also, by having 4x RAM Modules, you can end up reducing overall performance. So I would go with 2GB of DDR2-1000 memory.

Yes you can SLI two 7950GX2's, however the performance increase wont be that great, since nVidia's drivers and most games arent optimized for four card setups.

Habanerosky

Spend three Gs on a computer, then put the rest in your IRA or a CD :p. You can turn it into more money for frivilous spending. You can also take a significant other or your family to Figi for a month... or maybe beat the guy from Verizon to be the first civilian on the moon! (ok, maybe thats too far...)

bigsaucybob

I agree, with ~ $5000 you can buy an amazing computer. Then take $15,000 and put in a bank where you can make more money and either use it wisely or upgrade your computer again.

B[x]

n00b021 said:
well i want to play games at max max settings, use it as a pvr, multi task, all that good stuff.i also want a lot of bragging rights
In my opinion, spending top dollar on top tech is pointless. It'll only be top tech for a couple weeks and after a few months your $20k computer will be standard. You can easily run today's games (hell, tomorrow's games as well) on a computer that cost no more than $3000. Just because the money is burning a hole in your pocket doesn't mean you have to spend it.

Advice that was already given and is very sound (I'm just reinforcing their opinions):
  1. Buy a high quality computer every few years.
  2. Buy a high end computer and toss the rest in a bank.
  3. Buy a car.
  4. Go on vacation.
  5. Buy me a computer or three.
Again, unless you're ludicrously rich, nobody outside of the professional world (government, recording/movie industry, etc.) needs to spend that much on a computer.

PC eye

banned
I run some of the newer games out easier on the older Socket A model board here with a simple setup with 2gb of ram, an AGP 4x/8x graphics card, an Audigy 4 Pro Creative sound card, and an MS optical mouse. Gee? What did I spend about $110 for the board new, $180- for cpu, $70-80 for each video and sound, ironically $110 for a pair of Kingston 1gb performance dimms, and about $125-150 on other items combined. The new games run smoother on the older system here then the old games. Apparently the software is now catching up to the older stuff. Spend wisely after giving that spme thought.

Dr Studly

banned
n00b021 said:
i also want a lot of bragging rights
:D ok, i am not your accounant and it isn't my business to tell you what to do with your money:)
so here goes... best i can do (without it becoming a server PC...)

Approx: $19,850 :)
have fun... o, before you buy, give this thread a day to see if anyone thinks there is a mistake i made... there might be a few...

bigsaucybob

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Thats good, some of that stuff is just ridiculous.

Personally I would stay more consistent with the HDD's.

I would get two of a type of Raptor and just put em in RAID.

PC eye

banned
bigsaucybob said:
^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Thats good, some of that stuff is just ridiculous.

Personally I would stay more consistent with the HDD's.

I would get two of a type of Raptor and just put em in RAID.

I would agree with you at that real fast. The rec for more then one hard drive would also depend on where or not that would be SATA or EIDE? A single primary, a slave added for storage if not multipartitions on the primary, a SATA array added with matched not mismatched drives there can also serve for large capacity for temporary storage. There was an 1,100w psu seen in recent months that was far better then the one there. But that would be far more then needed. A good Enermax 600w psu would be a gamers better choice there. Type of case and cooling is another consideration.

PC eye

banned
gabbaii said:
go for 3 monitors, you wont have that annoying thing in the middle

You would practically need two atx cases or an 1,100w supply to drive twin SLI setups for peak. With a single SLI having a "Y" adapter you could run 4 monitors as long as the cards were good. The cloning of desktops rather then a good expansion to stretch the desktop across would be the real task. But there is always a solution. http://www.realtimesoft.com/ :D