Best Desktop For The Price

EMO-TOCROSS

Custom Built Desktop Computer

I've sold my laptop today (Dont ask why), and am in need of a desktop computer. What's left in my wallet is about 800$. I've been through dozens of sites like www.internetishop.com and www.ibuypower.com and like www.emachines.com and always Find negetive's and positives about what I see. I just cant make up my mind!!
So Im gonna leave it up to the experts, which is where you guys come in. I need help picking out the right desktop for me thats not overpriced, so I'm gonna tell you what Im gonna use the computer for, what i need, and what I dont need.

What It will be used for:
-Huge programs for music, web editing, web designing, gaming, accounting, making movies, burning cd's, and lots of internet activity.

What I (think) I need:

I NEED A BUILT IN WIRELESS CARD IN ORDER TO ACCESS THE INTERNET, IF NOT POSSIBLE THAN I GUESS AT LEAST A ETHERNET ADAPTER.

A couple USB Conecctores, and all those other connectors.

Windows XP Home Edition

A 60-80GB HARddrive (7200rpm)

1gb of ram ( I'm always running like a dozen things at once)

CD-RW 50X or something thats fast cuz im constitly burning/copying CD's.

A DVD PLAYER/READER To play dvd's and all that stuff.

A decent Video card, Probbly a Radean 9200 128mb ( i really dont know about graphics cards, I just need something to get me through those occasional counterstrike wars :) ) So If you think theres a good 64mb card or something that would be fine.

I do need a moniter (size, at least 15in), So I do need to shave off some money for one. ( If everything I need will be too expensive to afford a moniter too, than I can wait to buy or borrow a moniter as long as i get a good computer, i just need the computer now..)

Um Intel Pentium 4 is what I've heard is the best and reliable, Im not sure tho you tell me your thoughts on that.

And Im not sure on anything else, I can get myself a keyboard/mouse/speakers, but if it came with some that'd be great.

I do think I need a good sound card (because music is a huge priority on this computer), tho i dont know about sound cards

Things I dont think i need:

DvD BUrner, not needed.

Killer graphics card is not needed

Mouse and keyboard and or speakers

Anyways, hopefully some of you nice people will take some time with your knowledge and recomend a desktop computer for me that kinda fits my description of what im looking for.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What's left in my wallet is about 800$.
For that kinda money I've spec'd out a fairly decent system: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93097 and should be able to serve as a basic platform to modify from :) ... of course, since you need a monitor, that will take a huge dent out of available funds -- some things will have to degrade/go.

In general, since you're running a tight budget, dont get stuck on any given company -- especailly intel -- they've never been budget friendly :)

Sypher04

I recommend that you also check out...
www.tigerdirect.ca

They have great prices on most custom and pre-configured system.

You should always try the privately owned computer shops too, they are normally open to a bit of haggling.

Good Luck

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I used to be a big fan of TigerDirect until i saw some of their recent "budget" systems. All i can say is, sure you'll get a decent system and odds are you will be quite satisfied with it however realize that those budget systems are quite overcharged (argueably more so than their "mainstream" systems)

It doesnt seem overcharged and you can say, "Praetor your spec gives less stuff" but also consider that (a) I spec'd out high quality, tried-and-true brandnames and furthermore (b) I actually spec'd the brand behind my choice (as well as explaining why i chose what i chose) -- the tiger direct systems will often quote the features from the board rather than the actual board -- and their's a damn good reason for that. I've made "short work" of one their specs here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/84660

Hope that helps :)

Sypher04

Yes, i have noticed the same types of things with other companies. Unfortuantely, it's becoming very common for companies to omit information or brand names to make their product look better.

A couple companies to beware of: (for system sales)
- MDG Computers
-Very little for brand names, all OEM software included, look good offers,
expense upgrades, poor warranty.
- Dell Computers
-Many systems are fully-integrated and and those which aren't still offer
little upgradability, and they are expensive. Although Dell has good
warranties, they are Return-To-Depot in Texas, because they have no
Canadian Stores.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
MDG Computers
Yeah... I emailed them (i'm from Waterloo, a little ways from yourself) and found out that their email addy is defunct. . Gonna yell at them. ARGH! Stupid MDG

Dell Computers
They are improveing and I must admit they have gotten their act together in the last couple years really begun to be a decent player

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Never interacted with them

2. I know a bunch of poeple who buy stuff from there.... ugly ass case but thats usually the only (significant) complaint i have

3. They used to be a crappy brand but they've gotten their act together

EMO-TOCROSS

Oh ok I get it now.

Okay So I broke it down to a few desktops. Which one do you think is the best for the price and would be the most relieble. ( and if its custom, will all the parts work well together)

(remember that I need usb connectors and an ethernet thing for my dsl, I cant figure out where to see if the internetshop ones have them)

1.) http://www.internetishop.com/product_detail.asp?main_cat_no=DT&sub_cat_no=01&item=BKXP28C

2.) http://www.internetishop.com/product_detail.asp?main_cat_no=DT&sub_cat_no=01&item=LEAP28A

3.) http://www.internetishop.com/product_detail.asp?main_cat_no=DT&sub_cat_no=01&item=NFAP30B

4.) http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T3092

5.) http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_4600?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Saw the page for 2 seconds and closed it. (533Bus)
2. Saw the page for 2 seconds and closed it. (533Bus)
3. Saw the page for 2 seconds and closed it. (533Bus)
4. I'd prolly buy this one if i had to ... seems to be the best one for its price
5. Saw the page for 6 seconds to realize there is an option for the NorthwoodC as well as the NorthwoodB. Either get the NorthwoodC option or get choice 4 .. depending on the final price of course :)

EMO-TOCROSS

Hmmm interesting, I have no knowledge on the 533bus you speak of. So for the emachine desktop I showed you, I noticed the ram was pc2700. My friend was telling me thats very bad quality. Is this something I should be worried about?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. The 533Mhz bus was offically scrapped by Intel several months back in favor of the new 800Mhz spec.

2. Your friend is just talking about the final performance of the memory (comapring PC2700 with PC3200 ... its obviously slower). A couple points on that.
- You can OC the memory to PC3200 if you need to
- For that price bracket you're getting a damn decent system
- No you shouldnt be worried
- Just make sure the eMachines system is new. They used to do "refurbished machines" a lot. They might still do that.

EMO-TOCROSS

Oh no I'd make sure Im getting a new machine, for I'd be going to bestbuy or circuit city since I live nearbye. They should be telling me if its new or refurbished. Thanks for the recomendation, I think its a good choice. But other than the outdated ram, the video card, sound card, and all that other stuff looks good?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
for I'd be going to bestbuy or circuit city since I live nearbye. They should be telling me if its new or refurbished
Dont be so sure they will tell you. They are not obligated to tell you and if they think it will hurt sales (which it will) then they wont tell you. Of course legally it has to be written somewhere ... just really small

The videocard... i suspect its an onboard video chip is a POS ... but then again what did you expect for that kind of price range ... you wont be able to play many games with it ... and if you can... you wont be able to play them well.

The sound is very good, courtesy of the nVidia Soundstorm. If you've got a small budget in mind, have a look at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93097

EMO-TOCROSS

Is it possible, since at that price, it leaves me with nearly 200$ left, To upgrade what needs to be changed? Like Could I take out the video card, and insert a Radeon 9600 128mb Video card or something? And Like add 512mb more of ram? Would these things be possible to add onto or swap out causing into, with causing problems?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. I think the video thing isnt a "card" but rather a "chip" so you can just add another card to it

2. The Radeon9600 is a good choice although if all you have left is $200 ... it becomes a tossup between the videocard and the memory. I'd go with the videocard

3. If you goto the one site I posted, I spec'd a superior system for $800 and thats spending mind money because I felt like it. I think if needbe the system can be cut to ~$650. Have a look at that

Last edited:

EMO-TOCROSS

Actually, I dont think I'm gonna buy a built desktop now. I've been trying to expand my knowledge on computers as well, besides just mastering the programs. So It would be a good project for me to just buy all the parts on www.newegg.com and a case, and build the computer myself. I have done alot of technical things like rebuilt motocross engines, but nothing like a computer. So I'm gonna need some help on this, First off, Is there a site or something that shows you how to put together a computer? And also, could you recomend some parts for me at newegg.com so I can atleast narrow down my options? Thanks -

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I dont think I'm gonna buy a built desktop now. I've been trying to expand my knowledge on computers as well, besides just mastering the programs. So It would be a good project for me to just buy all the parts on www.newegg.com and a case, and build the computer myself.
That would be wise ... because the stuff I spec'd is based on getting parts and building it yourself....if u get OEM it costs a lot more

As for narrowing parts down, have alook at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93097 for various names and brands and model numbers as well as a quick description of why that part would be ideal etc

As for actually assembling it...... hmmmm dunno of any sites off the top of my head.... its been awhile since ive looked it up .... the motheboard manual should be sufficient to figure out the hardest part IMO, of getting the mobo in the case and mounting the CPU (the CPU also has instructions)