.bin, .cue CD burning problem...

cdfreelancer

I just got hold of a really good program that I've been looking forward to opening but I don't understand how to make the program run after burning it to CD. You see, I only just acquired my burner yesterday.
Basically I have a .bin file and a .cue file. I have made sure that both files have the same name (Aprogram.bin & Aprogram.cue). I have opened the .cue file with notepad and made sure that the filename in the qoutes is correct: FILE "Aprogram.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
I then burnt both the .bin and the .cue to CD but when I place then into the main CD drive the program doesn't start-up?!?!? I mean the program should start-up when you put it in the main CD drive right? Even when I right click on the drive in my computer and select autoplay, still nothing happens.
Please excuse my noobishness and help!!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
when I place then into the main CD drive the program doesn't start-up?!?!?
Not a big deal unless it doesnt manuall start either?

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
Loooks good :)

I have made sure that both files have the same name
They dont need to have the same name but the CUE has to be structured correctly, did you make the CUE yourself?

I then burnt both the .bin and the .cue to CD
Did yiu burn as an Image (like you should) or did you burn as DataCD

I just got hold of a really good program
It might be a fake. Really depends on where you got it from.

cdfreelancer

"They dont need to have the same name but the CUE has to be structured correctly, did you make the CUE yourself?"

No I didn't make the .cue myself, I downloaded it along with the .bin. This is the exact filename of the .bin: "Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles Aces Expansion.bin" and this is the exact contents of the .cue:
FILE "Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles Aces Expansion.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

"Did you burn as an Image (like you should) or did you burn as DataCD?"

I've only been buring CDs for 24hrs so I don't know what you mean. All I did is copy and paste both the .bin and the .cue onto my CDRW drive. It then made a temporary copy. After it had done that I simply selected "Write these files to CD" and it burned them onto the CD. I have no idea what you mean when you by image or DataCD. By the sounds of it, this is the problem.

"It might be a fake. Really depends on where you got it from."

I know it's not fake because I've managed to install and run it using Daemon virtual CD drive. Now that I have a burner I want to reinstall the game but without worrying about 'no-CD' patches.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I've only been buring CDs for 24hrs so I don't know what you mean. All I did is copy and paste both the .bin and the .cue onto my CDRW drive.
That's the problem! :) (and it has an easy solution)

Now that I have a burner I want to reinstall the game but without worrying about 'no-CD' patches.
Well since you've downloaded it, you will probably need a patch since the game was initially protected with Safedisc 2.80.011 which you have to backup using a specific method. Downloaded games strip this off and need noCDs -- there are a few exceptions to this rule of 1:1 downloads but they are very few and far between.

On burning Images:
Many of the available cd burning applications available are able to burn cd-images (visit http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976 for a more extensive listing). The most common techniques involve either Nero BurningROM (with V5, File --> Burn Image and wih V6, Recorder --> Burn Image) or Alcohol120 (using the image burning wizrad). Of the two, Alcohol120 is a far more capable burning application and able to handle virtually every major cd-image format available. You can obtain Nero at http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/nero.cfm and Alcohol120 at http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm For a quick step-by-step guide on burning BIN/CUEs with Nero, visit http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/bin_cue_with_nero.cfm