BIOS Problem

cstuart1

My PC was operating nicely until I tried to update my BIOS from Intel downloads. All went fine and a message said BIOS were updated OK. Then I found my cursor was frozen. I tried 3 different mouse devices but never could gain cursor control. I tried to repair and reinstall XP Home using the disk and the boot floppies but got only so far before navigation without a cursor made the operation hopeless. Any advise on escaping this hole I dug for myself would be most appreciated.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I tried to repair and reinstall XP Home using the disk and the boot floppies but got only so far before navigation without a cursor made the operation hopeless
Technically you dont need a cursor to install windows.... did you try reinstalling the OS rather than just 'repairing'?

cstuart1

Yes, I did try a full install and got as far as where MS tries to get you to go with their ISP. I tried arrows and "enter" but could not get past this window w/o my cursor. Is there another way?

cstuart1

Thanks. I finally was able to get to where I was able to format and am entering a fresh XP now. Hopefully, I can get all the way through. I'm wondering if doing this will get my cursor back or is this a BIOS glitch which may be independent of the OS.

cstuart1

Well, I made it through and now have a clean XP in my PC; however, the cursor is still stuck dead center on my screen. I have tried three mouse devices that all work on another PC, so it must be an interior problem. BIOS? If so, how do I fix that? Thanks for any help.

Tapir

you must reset the bios after you update. "It is always better to have both feet on the ground." Avoid flashing bios via the internet. One glitch in connection and pooof!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the cursor is still stuck dead center on my screen. I have tried three mouse devices that all work on another PC, so it must be an interior problem
Were all mice PS/2 mice? Or if they were USB did u use the same port everytime?

cstuart1

The mouse I was using when the cursor failed was USB. The two others I tried were PS/2. While trying various ones, I cannot be sure if I used the same USB port as before. The USB mouse I was using is an MS light sensitive type with a lighted portion at one end that lights up. It stopped lighting up when the cursor failed. The same mouse is now connected to my backup PC and it's lighted and working. I am using a PS/2 now w/o any luck. Tapir, it looks as though I had both feet airborne. Good lesson. Any ideas on a fix now? If this is a BIOS problem, I obviously need some detailed help. Thanks.

Tapir

You will need your manual to help you locate the battery. Unplug all electrical connections from your pc. Remove the battery for some 5 to 10 mins. Look good at it to make sure you put it back the way it was. The smooth part with no inscriptions should be the bottom. The side with brand name and voltage info is the top. Once you restart press the delete as it is booting right after it reads the memory. Press the delete key a couple times it will take you into the bios. Once in there look for the option where it asks you to set the default settings. Select that then press "f10" then "y" and boot into windows. Once you noot in safely you can go back to the bios and set your preferences. If you are not sure of what to do in the bios ask for help.
Also try to post some info on your system if you have more trouble.

The ref. to having your feet on the grounds was directly related to it is safer to flash bios from your hard drive or your floppy. And rmember when flashing from floppy make sure your floppy drive is as clean as it can be.

By connections I mean from the case not from the mother board. Remove the power cord that comes from your ups to your psu.

cheers

Last edited:

Tapir

More info is required to see if your bios can be flashed again. There are sevearl ways of doing this so provide more info.

cstuart1

Thanks Tapir, I thought I would have to remove the battery to zero out the BIOS but was not about to do that until someone expert told me to. I have no idea what preferences can be or should be set. Maybe boot from CD first, etc.? Anyway, I will do as you say and get back when I hit a roadblock. The backup PC I am on now is my son's so I will have to work around his needs. Thanks so much for the help as well as the opportunity to learn.

Tapir

Okay but remember you have to bear in mind that your manual that came with your pc has a lot of specific instructions on how to avoid problems.

The main thing to remember is to reset bios right after flashing. You need to go to the web site of your boards makers and check to see if the bios can be flashed over again. Avoid using USB mice or keyboards when flashing. When you change those you also need to change the setting in the bios about these 2.

cstuart1

Hi Tapir. I did as you said and made it to BIOS but it never said anything about default settings. Instead it showed the version of BIOS which was installed, so I guess it loaded them by itself. At any rate, after rebooting, my long lost cursor was again activated. What a thrill! Do I need to enter any BIOS preferences? If so, I do not know what they might be or how to do that. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Tapir

At the bottom of the bios screen does it have anything like "f6" for optimal or "f7" for best performance. Select the best performance. Then select "f10" to save and exit.

It is difficult to assist if we do not have what board, cpu, etc. your using.

cstuart1

I built this PC from my Gateway. The only thing left from original is the hard drive. I put in a 845PE Pentium 4 on a D845PESV motherboard. The BIOS screen gave me a language option and nothing else. I selected f10 since there was a BIOS ID listed and everything seems normal now and I am back up on the once bad PC. The only problem I have seen so far is that the USB mouse I used before (and used on my son's PC today) will not work. I tried each of my 4 USB ports but it would not function. I went to a PS/2 mnouse and it works OK. I have been reinstalling apps this PM and wonder if I need to do anything else. What do you think?

Tapir

Go to control panel at the bottom you will see system, click then in new window select hardware tab then select device manager. A window listing some of your devices will pop up. At the bottom after systemn devices you should have a listing for usb controller. If it is not there you have to activate it in your bios. In the bios look under advance settings or integrated peripherals enable the usb controller. Your board may have usb 2.0. Not sure but do you have win xp sp1 installed?

Last edited:

cstuart1

My USB Controllers appear OK. There is a + in the box. There are 12 sub-entries under controllers as I have a 4-port hub attached. I clicked on each of the 12 and they all said they were working properly. Is that enough of a check? The ports seem to be OK as my printer, etc. all work. Only problem is the mouse. At this moment, I do not have any MS fixes downloaded but will do that now. Thanks.