Blu-Ray or HD-DVD

Atsumi

Which do you think will win the war?

My pick goes out to Blu-Ray. They has more support from movie companies and the such.

What's your choice?

P11

VIP Member
Blu-Ray will probably be more successful, however they are vitually the same product....aside from their name and a couple performance differences. Also, I was checking out a Blu-Ray player at BestBuy and they take a LIFETIME to load a dvd, I'm not to sure about HD-DVD but I would like to wait until blu-ray reaches 4x or 8x speeds.

Geoff

VIP Member
Atsumi said:
My pick goes out to Blu-Ray. They has more support from movie companies and the such.
Are you sure? Last I heard HD-DVD had the most support because it had more secure DRM and was also cheaper to produce, since they can use existing DVD equipment.

How much do Blu-Ray discs cost anyway?

Mattu

This is just like the Betamax and VHS war of the 1980's. We'll just have to see witch one's the last one standing in about 5 years.

Atsumi

[-0MEGA-] said:
Are you sure? Last I heard HD-DVD had the most support because it had more secure DRM and was also cheaper to produce, since they can use existing DVD equipment.

How much do Blu-Ray discs cost anyway?
A Blu-Ray disc costs about $23 from what I've seen (A whole lot cheaper than I imagined)

Also, (Taken from wikipedia.com) "HD DVD initially received more support than Blu-ray from film studios and distributors, but the two formats are now close in levels of industry support. However, HD-DVD has fewer exclusive content providers: only Universal Studios, among the majors. Blu-Ray is backed by 20th Century Fox, as well as the Sony subsidiaries Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Sony Pictures Entertainment."

Last edited:
P11 said:
Blu-Ray will probably be more successful, however they are vitually the same product....aside from their name and a couple performance differences. Also, I was checking out a Blu-Ray player at BestBuy and they take a LIFETIME to load a dvd, I'm not to sure about HD-DVD but I would like to wait until blu-ray reaches 4x or 8x speeds.
I have not actually checked either one out but from what I have read in reviews, HD-DVD is even slower to load than Blu-Ray.

It is hard to compare prices for discs as I have only seen blank Blu-Ray ones. When it comes to movies, they are both around the same price with Blu-Ray going for between $23-$30 and HD-DVD around the same (though one or so is almost $40). The HD-DVD player is cheaper though although when the PS3 comes out it will be a cheap Blu-Ray player (but will probably still be considered an expensive game console).

Blu-Ray also has a larger storage capacity than HD-DVD which might help it.

SC7

HD-DVD is slightly cheaper per disc, plus cheaper to make, because old DVD equipment can be used with a little modification. I think Blu-Ray will fail because it's just one company behind it. People don't like one company (sony) trying to dominate, and they've failed before (Betamax, UMD). To me, it just seems like sony won't be able to get themselves the edge. Now, another thing, remember, the better product doesn't always win. Xbox was better than PS2 and GCN technologically, it got 2nd in the US, and 3rd worldwide. Betamax was superior to VHS, and it floped, same with laserdisc. The market looks for the happy medium, such as if HD-DVD is somewhat close to Blu ray, and offers good enough performance, they'll be going after that every last penny in order to get that small cash saving (which does add up).

SC7

baballin328 said:
i think both cost too much, and blu ray's price is ridiculus ($1000?!)
It'll come down in price when it's ready to hit the mass market, either that or Sony goes to big, and kills themselves again.

baballin328

SC7 said:
It'll come down in price when it's ready to hit the mass market, either that or Sony goes to big, and kills themselves again.
lol:p
but blu ray burning is impressive. it can burn 25GB of data in 45min.

Geoff

VIP Member
The Blu-Ray drives are crazy expensive, but i'm suprised at how cheap the Blu-Ray discs are. I bet HD-DVD will win in the long run.

SC7 said:
HD-DVD is slightly cheaper per disc, plus cheaper to make, because old DVD equipment can be used with a little modification. I think Blu-Ray will fail because it's just one company behind it. People don't like one company (sony) trying to dominate, and they've failed before (Betamax, UMD). To me, it just seems like sony won't be able to get themselves the edge. Now, another thing, remember, the better product doesn't always win. Xbox was better than PS2 and GCN technologically, it got 2nd in the US, and 3rd worldwide. Betamax was superior to VHS, and it floped, same with laserdisc. The market looks for the happy medium, such as if HD-DVD is somewhat close to Blu ray, and offers good enough performance, they'll be going after that every last penny in order to get that small cash saving (which does add up).
How is only one company (Sony) behind Blu-Ray? What do you mean exactly by that?

Atsumi said:
Sony makes Blu-Ray. Toshiba makes HD-DVD.
I still don't follow. Please forgive my slowness. Samsung also makes Blu-Ray as do other companies I believe. And if Toshiba is the only one who makes HD-DVD then that would negate the one argument about Blu-Ray being made by only one company as the same would be true for HD-DVD.

Geoff

VIP Member
vonbismarck said:
I still don't follow. Please forgive my slowness. Samsung also makes Blu-Ray as do other companies I believe. And if Toshiba is the only one who makes HD-DVD then that would negate the one argument about Blu-Ray being made by only one company as the same would be true for HD-DVD.
Sony created it, but other companies produce the hardware as well.

[-0MEGA-] said:
Sony created it, but other companies produce the hardware as well.
I see. Is this supposed to be a bad thing though? I believe with betamax, Sony was the only one making the units which helped bring about its downfall. But here there are other companies making Blu-Ray too.

I still ask though if it matters anyway if HD-DVD is also only one company (at least for that argument anyway).

Bunty

You can use any of them. Because, if you want to play them on your PC, they won't be very expensive. You can easily play HD-DVD on your DVD-ROM because it uses MPEG 2 compression. I don't know Bly-ray discs what use!

Atsumi

BigBrains57 said:
when PS3 comes out it will be a more even market out there, the 360 doesnt even have a hddvd player in it as of now
360 gets an external HD-DVD player.

SC7

^^ But they won't use that for games, because original customers (like me) would be pissed as hell if we had to go about buying a new extention to play games. As for Sony being a bad thing, it looks more like this, Sony has a mass name behind it, and is really in total control of what's going on with it. It's going in PS3, and people may get bad "vibes" so to speak, coming from Sony. Many companies are behind both products, just one invented each. Sorry for the confusion, plus, with idiot consumers, a lot may just by HD-DVD, because they'll think, oh, It's dvd, AND ITS HD!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: Anyway @bunty, you cannot play a DVD in your DVD-ROM drive, they took the picture of wikipedia, but it is a much smaller finer lens, and it is also in blue color, making drive speeds different two, so the whole drive needs to be revamped.