BSOD – one of her critical processes has done kicked the bucket

novicegeek

So, I have this neighbor lady, who is a nice, old woman. She has a Lenovo laptop which she uses to get on Facebook and work on some digital needlepoint program. She had a computer issue, so she called me, because I know slightly more about computers than she does. Here’s what I’ve got so far. She said she had problems after doing an update, and she "couldn't get anything." So, I took her computer home and told her I would work on it.

After getting it home, when I turned it on, I was greeted with a BSOD that said, “Critical process died.” I tried a few things, but I could not get the computer to start. I then turned it on and off until I got the automatic repair tool. When I got this, it would read, “preparing automatic repair,” and then in a few minutes, the screen would just go black. I can’t even get the BSOD anymore.

I am currently in the process of creating a recovery drive, but I’m not sure if that will address the issue. I got into BIOS once, but haven’t had much luck since then.

I can’t give a lot of info about her computer (as in 32 or 64 bit), but I can tell you it is running Windows 10. I can’t even tell the model number because the printing on the bottom has worn down to the point where they are no longer readable. I think she got it a couple of years ago.

Can someone help me help me help this nice lady get her computer back to running again?

Thanks so much.

novicegeek

Negative Ghost Rider (okay, I'm not even sure what that means, anyway), after the "preparing automatic repair" with the spinning wheel, it goes to a black screen and does nothing. I can't get to the advanced recovery. That's what's befuddling me at this point. Do you know how to get around that?

Thank you for the response.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't have windows 10 install media then you need to go here and make it and then follow that method I posted.

Download the tool and create either a cd or usb bootable media.