building a computer...

batman810

Im working on putting a computer together, and this is what I have come up with. I think its pretty sweet, but I was wondering if anyone else would rate it...thanks.

Case: EZ-Media G7

Mobo: Chaintech 9CJS

CPU: Intel P4 3.2GHZ

RAM (up to of these): Ultra 1Gb PC3200 DDR 400MHz

Hard Drive: Hitachi 120GB

Video Card: PNY Verto GeForce 6800 GT

Cooling System: Liquid Cooler

DVD Burner

Im also going to throw in some case fans ,a pci fan card,a hard drive cooler, and a memory heat spreader, if you care to look at that stuff. Any feedback would be aprecciated. thanks

SlothX311

pretty good setup, you know that you can only do one of those rebates though.....just a sugestion, but try newegg.com and see if you can cut the price a little, thier generally cheaper, and you dont have to worry about rebates :)

Echo_

look into amd... if your gonna be doin gaming or basically anything besides video proccessing go amd.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to consider 2x1024 or 2x512 as to utilize the dual channel option :)

batman810

Im thinking about going with the 2x1024, but not right away, I figure one gig or ram is more then enough until I have enough money for another. I rpobably would go with athlon, but I dont know anything about them...and it looks like they dont haev any in socket 478, and I really like that motherboard. I guess its just me being stubborn lol. I appreciate your response though.

Yeti

VIP Member
I would agree with Praetor and go for 2x512 unless you're planning on buying the second 1024 very soon after. That way you could just add another 2x512 whenever you feel like you need more memory and you will aways be utilizing dual channels. If you go for the 2x512 you could also get a matching set.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Dont put too much faith on them matching sets though, matching sets arent always worth the stupidly premium prices

batman810

I think I like the idea of putting 2x512 sticks of Ram for $50.00 each, that way I get the gig or RAM, in dual channel, and $50.00 less then buying a 1 gig stick...sounds good to me anyway, thanks for the idea preator, and running 2x512 in dual channel, would be better then running just 1 1 gig stick right?. If I did that, could I also later put in two sticks of the original 1 gig ram I wanted, and run 3 gigs dual channel??? just a though...thanks

Last edited:

Yeti

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Dont put too much faith on them matching sets though, matching sets arent always worth the stupidly premium prices

True, I've never bought the matched sets because it never seemed justified economically. Buying two of the exact same brand and specs at once helps though so you don't have to go back and match the speed, latency, etc later.