Building a Home Theater PC

rars222

I posted this in Network and Servers without a response, so maybe a more general locale will be better???

I am thinking about putting together a home theater "server". One that will allow me to play the music/videos/photo files on my home theater system. I also love the idea of recording live TV (tivo like). I am reading a book on building your own computer and it has some info in there on the subject, but it seems like the info may already be outdated.

I know I could buy a wireless media server, but that won't allow tivo functions.

Has anyone built such a system, or have any advice as to components needed, video capture cards, hard drives, etc??

I recently built my first PC and it was fun. I have the itch for a new challenge.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
rars222 said:
I posted this in Network and Servers without a response, so maybe a more general locale will be better???

I am thinking about putting together a home theater "server". One that will allow me to play the music/videos/photo files on my home theater system. I also love the idea of recording live TV (tivo like). I am reading a book on building your own computer and it has some info in there on the subject, but it seems like the info may already be outdated.

I know I could buy a wireless media server, but that won't allow tivo functions.

Has anyone built such a system, or have any advice as to components needed, video capture cards, hard drives, etc??

I recently built my first PC and it was fun. I have the itch for a new challenge.
Microsoft XP Media Center Edition OS has most of the "tivo like" features.

check it out:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

Of course you will need a tv tuner to watch tv.