Building a new PC

sven556

I will be building a new AMD based computer in the near future and I'm hoping some of you guys will take a look at the hardware that I've chosen so far.

RAIDMAX Black 10-bay Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "ATX-868WBP" -RETAIL

ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM

Albatron nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700Q" -RETAIL

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1200JD, OEM Drive Only

Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for AMD K7 & K8 and Intel P4 processors, Model "POLO 735" -RETAIL

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM

So far with round cables and a tube of arctic silver, the total is at $742 Which is a little more than I was hoping for, but that happens everytime I buy something. I did go with the SATA hdd and the dual memory kit which is what put the price over my expectations.

Are there any changes that you would recommend?

Also, I want a decent quality video capture card, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Sven

4W4K3

VIP Member
i would change 2 things...

i would get that same chip, but the MOBILE one. overclocking with a mobile is alot better than with a desktop chip in my experiences. might be a few $ cheaper too.

i would also suggest getting OCZ EB/EL ram if you can afford it. im not sure if its cheaper than corsair but i imagine it is...i got my kit for $130, but if you want a gig i wouldnt know the rice. OCZ EB is one of the best RAM's you can buy right now i believe.

nrclptcnsmniak

also there is a good deal at frys for a 160 gb hd. its ide but same 7200rps. it's like 50 i think... but then again ... frys is always a little iffy...

sven556

How much more would I have to spend to get a good amd 64 bit system, and how much of a performance increase is there? Can I make it work with $800?
I want to get a good computer that can last me a few years, I know even in a year I probably won't be able to run the newest games but I still want a decent system.

Timbo

Well You could pick up a 2800+ socket 754 for about 150 bucks. And from what I've read, I could be mistaken.. The Amd 64 vs xp, the 64 has 25% better performance clock for clock than xp. Ha.. the amd 64 socket 754 2800+ is 3 dollars cheaper than the amd xp 2800+.. Trippy..

After looking at newegg.com it looks like you could get a socket 754 2800+ with an Nforce 3 motherboard for about 50-60 bucks more.. Here's link to both.

Cpu - 146 dollars
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=0

Motherboard - 85 dollars
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-237&depa=0

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How much more would I have to spend to get a good amd 64 bit system, and how much of a performance increase is there? Can I make it work with $800?
No doubt you CAN get it to fit into $800 bucks but it wont be something that will survive (as it is already obsolete). Its defintiely a better route than sticking with the AthlonXP which is really obsolete now but it's your call. Personally I'd try and cram a i865 system into $800 but that's me :)

Amd 64 vs xp, the 64 has 25% better performance clock for clock than xp
Where'd you get that 25% from? :)

I want to get a good computer that can last me a few years, I know even in a year I probably won't be able to run the newest games but I still want a decent system.
Well then definitely consider the Athlon64(Socket754) and/or the Pentium4

Timbo

I read 25% off of a computer forum. * i don't think it's this one * But they could have been mistaken.

sven556

Ok, I need a stable system. So, which mobo would you recommend that supports dual channel memory? Also, how much of a difference is there between these chipsets: nvidia nforce3 250gb, K8T800Pro + VT8237 ?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I need a stable system. So, which mobo would you recommend that supports dual channel memory?
Damn near all mobos now have Dual Channel support

Also, how much of a difference is there between these chipsets: nvidia nforce3 250gb, K8T800Pro + VT8237 ?
The NF3 is a business oriented chipset (as opposed to their NF2 which is a gamer chipset). The downside to that is their hypertransport is running at 600Mhz as opposed to the 'spec 800Mhz and later 1Ghz. Most users will want the KT800 or it's Pro variant :) Both of those chipsets are for the Athlon64s btw :)

sven556

THis combo of mobo and cpu puts the system total at $788

CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU
-RETAIL $75

AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - OEM $138

Is this mobo anygood? or should I really try to find one with the vt800 chipset?

sven556

If I go with the 64 bit processor should I stick with the polo 735 hs/fan or should I go with something else?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is this mobo anygood? or should I really try to find one with the vt800 chipset?
Here are the available chipsets for the A64 line (because there's no VT800):
Socket754
K8T800
NF3-250
Both of these run 800Mhz HTs

Socket939
K8T800 Pro (Runs a 1Ghz HT)

Socket940
K8T800 (run a 800Mhz HT)
NF3-150 (runs a 600Mhz HT)

If I go with the 64 bit processor should I stick with the polo 735 hs/fan or should I go with something else
Keep the polo

sven556

Sorry, I meant the K8T800 (don't know where I came up with the VT800). So, is the K8T800 a lot better for gaming than the NF3?

Is the Chaintech board that I listed a good board or should I find something different?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So, is the K8T800 a lot better for gaming than the NF3?
Depends which NF3 you're getting. Definitely better than the NF3-150

Is the Chaintech board that I listed a good board or should I find something different?
Never used it