burning blu ray discs

jamie_2k6

banned
ive just found out about these things 20 somet gigs on one disc :) can you burn them on any dvd rewriter or would i have to fork out alot of dosh for a special one ?

jimmymac

VIP Member
special one, you would need a blu ray recorder and they dont come cheap at the moment, somewhere in the range of about $500 i believe :)

Geoff

VIP Member
As Jimmy said, blu-ray burners are around $500-$600 now, and they are the only burners that can be used with blu-ray.

jamie_2k6

banned
thanks ... i think ill wait till they come down in price abit. my full computer wont even cost me that much to build :|

heyman421

banned
has anyone seen how much the discs cost?

i just saw them today while looking for cheap verbatim's, and they're individually wrapped at best buy for $20 a pop...........

Blank cd's were only $4 a piece when they FIRST came out.......

$20 is ridiculous.

Archangel

VIP Member
err... very old, bad joke comming up again...

Blue-Ray burner
reny_hoek_inzethaard_rechts.jpg

sorry, couldnt resist :eek:

zaroba

ea. new technology is always expensive. plus, its best buy so it'll cost even more :p

at pricewatch a 5pack is as low as $70
a 5pack of duel layer is around $174

geeze, imagine how much a hundred pack would cost :p

still way more cost effecient to use dvds.
97blu-ray can hold as much as 1020dvds.
97 blu ray would cost $1300, 1020dvds woulden't be more then $400

Last edited:

ADE

banned
But you need a special blue ray reader to even read one! Plus, why would you need one? Sure, you can back up some of your hard drive, but really, the only logical reason I can see ANY really needing that is for reasons that CF will not tolerate to talk about. I think you know what I mean.

jimmymac

VIP Member
But you need a special blue ray reader to even read one! Plus, why would you need one? Sure, you can back up some of your hard drive, but really, the only logical reason I can see ANY really needing that is for reasons that CF will not tolerate to talk about. I think you know what I mean.

bear in mind that you can legally download films too....

jamie_2k6

banned
i would like to use one to back up all my tv series like all of south park is like 21 gig id rather stik it on one disc than av 4 or 5 different discs

ADE

banned
This is exactly what I mean! People will just go and do illegal things with them! As of now, there is no other point for people even wanting one! Be real people, yes i know you shouldn't talk about it, be truth be told, if you got one your only gonna want to burn illegal disks! That's it! You have no other grater purpose! I this that's wrong and its illegal and shame on anyone who does that! the reality check please! If you get one that's like saying to me "I'm guna burn a video of Winny the Pooh" Samething when dual layer disks came out! You didn't need that storage unless you were going to do crap like this! I hope you all can see it my way.

heyman421

banned
i'd buy one if there were re-writeables, and they used cartridges a la dvd-ram discs, because that would be amazing for backing up my computer.

ADE

banned
1. even if they were RW's, it would be cheaper and smarter to use just DVD RW's.
2. if you just even wanted to share a file with someone they would need a BlueRay drive to read it with! Which rarely anyone has!

heyman421

banned
files are getting bigger, tho

i've pulled some files down off of my news server that were 18+ gigs

and these aren't movies, either.

i'd love to be able to keep things like that on a single disc, and not on my hard drive.

ADE

banned
but for the price of a few of those disks, you can get a hard drive that exceeds that capacity, even if it was external i bet.

heyman421

banned
ya, that's true.

fact is, they're NOT worth it right now

i'm just saying, i'm looking forward to them becoming an actual possibility in the future.

i could definitely make use of that kind of storage

or an alternative to optical storage altogether would be ideal. maybe some sort of mainstream MO storage will come around.... full sized minidiscs? yes please.

using writeable optical discs for storage is really risky. There's so much fluctuation in quality between burners, discs, and even results with the same media, at the same speeds on the same player.

your data is never really GAURANTEED to be written correctly. and just because the burner is able to read it again to verify, doesn't mean that it will be readable by the drive that you need to read it with.....

Last edited: