camcorder

jon23

ive got an old jvc camcorder, 1 that takes tapes and would like to know how i could get my media on to computer. Could i get a cable that goes from my camcorder to pc or would i hav to get a cable that goes from the tv to comp.

any advice would be gratefull cheers

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I beleive ALL camcorders use tapes :p We need a bit more info. What KIND of tapes? What kind of comptuer do you have? SPECIFICS

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Dude, if you want help, give me specifics. I need to know what you're computer is to know if it's even partly capable of doing video editing. As for you're camera, I found next to nothing on google about it. WHAT KIND OF TAPES DOES IT USE?!

If you want help, you MUST give us info to work off of...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
IF his computer and computer could handle DV, that's the way to go. It's not much more expensive(cards are usally $20-40) and MUCH MUCH higher quality. DV also lets you export your video back to you're camera or a VCR(though the camera)

Problem is I don't think his camera is DV(which is why I need SPECS) and the computer should be a PIII(though a high end Cele might cut it...)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about...

OK, I'm getting tired of this post so I'll just clear as much up as I can...
VHS/VHS-C - RCA only. A card like Yeti would be fine, even less as you're limited to basically 352x240x30FPS...

SVHS/SVHS-C - More around the lines of 480x480. These cameras tipcially have SVIDEO connections, so something like Yeti said would be perfect.

Hi8 - Basically the same as SVHS...

Digital8/miniDV - Best quality(720x480) a DV card is almost a must as you get perfect quality, and can export back out.

Now the only problem with older analog cameras(anything other than D8/miniDV) is that the signal is totally analog so there's a good bit of quality loose. Also, captureing using analog results in rather large file sizes. DV(firewire) also has larger files, but tends to work better than analoge.

If you do infact have some analog camera, you might want to look around for some card with an onboard compressor. MPEG2 if you wish to burn to DVDs. Don't be fooled, most of them are simply software compression. Expect to pay about $80-200 for a real hardware compressor...

If you're computer is new, you could probably use a software compressor. 2GHz or higher is usally required for the optimal performace, but you still might get frames dropped.

Most cards don't have an output. DV can go back out though your camera which gives you no quality loss. If you can't use DV, you can always use a TV out on your video card, but there's even more quality loss there... Video card outputs are made to cram huge resolutions onto the screen. A normal TV runs at around 720x480, where as a computer is at least 800x600 today...

OK...I hope this is good enough o_O;

Hello

banned
The_Other_One said:
Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about...

SVHS/SVHS-C - More around the lines of 480x480. These cameras tipcially have SVIDEO connections, so something like Yeti said would be perfect.

Hi8 - Basically the same as SVHS...

I'm sorry, SVIDEO, not S-Cable...thats probably why I said I cant quite remember :rolleyes:

Blastowic

The_Other_One said:
I beleive ALL camcorders use tapes :p

There are also DVD camcorders wich record to a disc right away...so no points there smartass

However you are right on the part that we need more info to help...can you tell us what model your camcorder is?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Ah geeze, I forgot about those :eek: Either way, they, from what little I know about them, run off DV and would be much like a Digital8/miniDV