Can anyone help with cd/dvd rom drive problem?

niceneasy

I installed a new hard drive then reinstalled windows xp, and everything is working fine apart from my cd/dvd rom drive and to a lesser extent my keyboard.
The cd/dvd doesnt work although the light still flickers as normal when i insert a disc and it doesn't show up in "my computer."
Device manager lists it as working properly, and trying to reinstall the original drivers brings up a message similar to "nothing better than what is already installed can be found."
My dvd rw drive and floppy drive are both working fine.
Can anyone tell me what I could try to fix the problem.
Also my keyboard is set to american settings. For example I can't print the British pound sign. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
Thanks
Matt

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I installed a new hard drive then reinstalled windows xp, and everything is working fine apart from my cd/dvd rom drive and to a lesser extent my keyboard.
The cd/dvd doesnt work although the light still flickers as normal when I insert a disc and it doesn't show up in "my computer."
I think this is a classic case of master-master/slave-slave conflict :)

Also my keyboard is set to american settings. For example I can't print the British pound sign. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
Control Panel --> Region :)

niceneasy

Thanks Praetor, got the keyboard fixed in minutes.
Could you please explain about the master/ slave conflict as I think you could be right about that.
On booting the master drive is showing up as none.
Do you know how I could resolve it?
Thanks
Matt

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Remove your HDD and/or your optical drive, you'll see a bunch of pins common to both the drives in one of the following configurations (jumpers indicated by bolding cuz I couldnt get colors to work properly)

Master
x x x x
x x x x

Slave
x x x x
x x x x

Cant-remember-but-i-think-slave
x x x x
x x x x

Cable Select
x x x x
x x x x

Grab a pair of tweezer/pliers/fingers and reset those jumpers so that:
- If you are not using Cable Select then one is set as master and one is set as slave
- If you are using Cable Select then both drives are using cable select