Can someone help with my old, tired computer?

mikepoke

Bit new at this, but here goes.

My computer is about 3yrs old, and is your basic off the shelf Dell. This is what I know:

1. Intel P4 1.7 mhtz
2. Nvidia Geforce2 MX - 64mg (I think)
3. 256 mg RAM
4. Know nothing about MOBO
5. BIOS too basic, and will not let me OC
6. Soundblaster 5.1 Card

A. If I want to increase the 256 mgs, must it match? Do I have to add 256mg for a total of 512, or can I add 512 for a total of 768?
B. How do I find out more about my MOBO, so I can determine whether there is a faster CPU I can drop in?
C. Would it be a problem to add a 10,000 rpm hard drive to this computer?

Budget is not really an issue if it makes sense to upgrade.

Thanks
Mike

kof2000

the pins and if it is non ecc or ecc must match. you can get 256 or 512 but you'll need to find out the max limit.

direct x will tell you the name or use third party programs to find out the name or open up your computer it will say on the board.

you can add 10,000rpm sata drive if your mb has the slot or else you'll need a scsi slot or a pci sata slot card.

mikepoke

Thanks for getting back to me.

kof2000 said:
the pins and if it is non ecc or ecc must match. you can get 256 or 512 but you'll need to find out the max limit.
I think I got the type I need down, but dont know the max my board can take. I cant imagine its only 512. Do you know how I can find out?

kof2000 said:
direct x will tell you the name or use third party programs to find out the name or open up your computer it will say on the board.
I just downloaded direct x from microsoft, but when I installed it, I cant tell how to launch it? Any thoughts? If I open the box, what should I look for on the mobo?

kof2000 said:
you can add 10,000rpm sata drive if your mb has the slot or else you'll need a scsi slot or a pci sata slot card.
I am thinking I will put in the 10,000 rpm drive when one of the others dies. Is it as simple as installing any other drive?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

mikepoke

kof2000 said:
much easier than ide. no large cables.

I am still rather new at this, so not sure about all the technical terms. When I just recently put in a new hard drive I used a single cable that was connected to both drives and the mobo. It had 2 connectors on it, so I connected 2 hard drives. Is that the cable you are referring to? Thanks

mikepoke

mikepoke said:
I think I got the type I need down, but dont know the max my board can take. I cant imagine its only 512. Do you know how I can find out?

Just about to bid on 512mb of memory on ebay. Does anybody think that this would be a problem when I mismatch it with 256k? Any maximum issues?

Thanks
Mike

4W4K3

VIP Member
Most dell computers take ONLY Dell RAM, which is why they can charge you $75 for a 128mb stick of crap. You can find RAM's compatible with your DELL machine, my laptop works fine on generic brand RAM. Just do some research on your perticular Dell machine, and see if you can find supported brands.

mikepoke

OK, I found out some more about my computer using PC Wizard.

1. I know that I have an Intel i845D chipset. Can this be used if I want to get a faster CPU?

Thanks
Mike

mikepoke

mikepoke said:
OK, I found out some more about my computer using PC Wizard.

1. I know that I have an Intel i845D chipset. Can this be used if I want to get a faster CPU?

Thanks
Mike

Thanks but what about the above question? thanks

mikepoke

KillermilleR said:
u can just use google to find out the supported chips

Just did that, thanks. Quick question, though, if my mobo is a 400 mhz system bus. Is that the maximum FSB on a new CPU that can be supported? thanks

Mike

mikepoke

kof2000 said:
u can get a higher cpu but it will still run at 400mhz unless you OC it.

Thank you, so you mean I can get a 533mhz but it will only run at 400 mhz. Is that worth it?

Also, do I need to get the heatsink and fan, too? Or will the old heatsink and fan do?

I dont think my bios is sophisticated enough to OC at all. Does that make sense? Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You're best off building a new machine from scratch and salvaging the current machine for parts.

I know that I have an Intel i845D chipset. Can this be used if I want to get a faster CPU?
Technically yes however it cant be used if you "get a faster, useful, readily available CPU" so for all intents and purposes, no.

if my mobo is a 400 mhz system bus. Is that the maximum FSB on a new CPU that can be supported? thanks
Correct. And it would be folly to spend money on a new setup and be cramped by the OEM mobo (which is garbage -- thats why Dell gave it to you)

Thank you, so you mean I can get a 533mhz but it will only run at 400 mhz. Is that worth it?
1. The 533s have been effectively discontinued.
2. You are correct in that they will only be clocked at 400Mhz (and thus, say a 2.53GHz proc will only run at 1.80GHz for example)
3. Not worth it.

Also, do I need to get the heatsink and fan, too? Or will the old heatsink and fan do?
The new one will come with one.

the spinng speed of your current fan is a biggy for oc!
Not if he doesnt get a new mobo and ram.

----------------------
Now to address the issue at hand, to do so I need one question answered: "What's your budget -- you said 'not really an issue' -- please nail down a number for me" :) In light of that, consider the following:

- ASUS P4P800SE ... a solid i865PE board ... with damn near the performance (but nowhere near the pricetag) of its big brother, the i875P (the ASUS P4C800 series) .... 90USD
- Intel P4C-3.2GHz ... solid chip all around... prolly best choice if you dont wanna OC quite yet .. comes with a decent fan and doesnt run uberhot ..... 200USD (thats much more expensive than Id expect so shop around ... something closer to 175USD is more in my expected scope)
- Some brandname PC3200 1GB Kit (2x512MB) .... 150USD
- Some GeForce6800 ... solid allaround card, light years better than what you've got ... the option is open to softmod it later in the future if you need/want ... 275USD

Do note that if you're not into playing games then upgrading the video card would be a silly, uneeded expense. I'll not reccomend storage solutions until you spec the budget :)

How do I find out more about my MOBO, so I can determine whether there is a faster CPU I can drop in?
Something like CPUz (www.cpuid.com) can tell you :)