Can't get sound woking?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Gigabyte 965P-(D)S3 USERS! Sound Problems!

Hi,

I've installed SP2 and all the updates MS has to throw at me...

I've also installed all of the drivers that came with the MOBO CD, and yet my sound still doesn't work.

I get the error thing when you try and play a sound in Media Player, the little red circle with the cross appears next to the track.

I don't have any sound, What do I need to do?

Thanks

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
may seem a stupid question mate but have you downloaded the audio drivers?

was there any audio drivers on the mobo cd?

PabloTeK

Go to the Gigabyte site, when I got my board the drivers were so out of date that Windows would often get a STOP error. It also improves the sound for some reason.

Kornowski

VIP Member
may seem a stupid question mate but have you downloaded the audio drivers?

was there any audio drivers on the mobo cd?

Yeah, I've installed the ones that came with the MOBO CD, but it doesn't want to know they're there, it doesn't think I have any sound deviced :confused:

Go to the Gigabyte site, when I got my board the drivers were so out of date that Windows would often get a STOP error. It also improves the sound for some reason.

Just taking a look now...

Downloading the ones off the site now, really, really slow :(

Kornowski

VIP Member
Is there anything I need to do enable on-board sound?

I got the 1st driver off the Gigabyte web site, installed it and it still doesn't work? :confused: It's really annoying! :(

holdenssx

you might try going to the device manager and going under the category with sound and seeing if anything is disabled or has an error

Kornowski

VIP Member
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...&id=C00D11BA&contextid=68&originalid=80040256

Thats the page it links me to when I click web-help.
untitledro6.jpg

Here are the chipsets:

Northbridge: Intel® P965 Express Chipset
Southbridge: Intel® ICH8
Marvell 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller
GIGABYTE SATAII controller
Realtek ALC883 8 Channel Audio Codec

Kornowski, you're just having all kinds of difficulty with this build, eh? It happens
I know :(

try going into your BIOS and making sure onboard sound is enabled

I looked in the BIOS and I can't find anything, am I overlooking anything?

Last edited:

holdenssx

I did some research and I guess theres a lot of people with this problem after installing SP2, one solution that worked was:

To resolve the issue, browse to %windir%\inf, find the machine.inf file, and copy it to a temporary folder. Edit the file and remove the line that says "ExcludeFromSelect=*" - it's around line 20 of the machine.inf file.

Now go to control panel, add new hardware, don't let it automatically detect, and navigate through until you get to the point where you can install a driver from a disk using the "have disk" button. Point the installer to the edited machine.inf file, and choose the "plug and play software enumerator" from the list. Amazingly, the sound will now work, even without rebooting.

hope this helps

Kornowski

VIP Member
The CD that came with the MOBO had drivers for the sound on but I couldn't install it because it needed SP1 or higher, so I went ahead and got SP2, installed the drivers and it won't work.

So, I'll give that a go, thanks a lot :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've installed about 3 sets of drivers and none of them have worked, I think it has to be something about it being disabled, but I don't know where? :confused:

Now go to control panel, add new hardware, don't let it automatically detect, and navigate through until you get to the point where you can install a driver from a disk using the "have disk" button. Point the installer to the edited machine.inf file, and choose the "plug and play software enumerator" from the list. Amazingly, the sound will now work, even without rebooting.

I have to select the hardware I want to do it for?

holdenssx

Its none of those, you'll need to go to folder options, and show hidden files and folders, then from your windows directory find the INF folder, inside the folder there should be a machine file.
3yrj4v8.jpg

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok Thanks, But once I've found that and say, put it in a folder on my desktop, When I 'Add New Hardware' I have to select the hardware I want to add, I can't just add nothing?

SP2 of XP???
About the Drivers? Well, The ones that came with the motherboard CD, I'd of thought would be Ok, but no, Then some off the Gigabyte web site and they didn't work :confused:

I don't see why the friggin' drivers didn't work? AHHH, I will be building with the same stuff soon and I don't wanna go through that crap. GRR! I thought Gigabyte was better than that.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It's Sooo annoying!

I've send Gigabyte an Email to see what they have to say, I can't find anything about it on the internet :confused: