Can't sign into Microsoft Teams due to previous account with same phone number

eem2am

Hi,
Just downloaded Microsoft Teams. I can't sign in to Microsoft Teams because it says my phone number is linked to a different Microsoft account. Some years ago, i used my then work email address, and my current phone number, to sign up to a Microsoft account. I do not work at that place any more, so have no access to that email address. However, when i try to sign into Teams now, it needs a phone number, but wont let me use my phone number, as it is said to belong to the previous different account....which of course i now can't sign in to as i dont have access to the email address involved.

How do i get round this?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Teams doesn't need phone numbers to sign in. It uses an email address licensed for it. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

FairDoos

Hi,
Just downloaded Microsoft Teams. I can't sign in to Microsoft Teams because it says my phone number is linked to a different Microsoft account. Some years ago, i used my then work email address, and my current phone number, to sign up to a Microsoft account. I do not work at that place any more, so have no access to that email address. However, when i try to sign into Teams now, it needs a phone number, but wont let me use my phone number, as it is said to belong to the previous different account....which of course i now can't sign in to as i dont have access to the email address involved.

How do i get round this?

Would you by any chance know of the password to said account with the linked phone number? You can always sign into Microsoft using your phone number and password then remove the phone number from that account.

(Hello again everybody, this is my first post in ten years!)