Can't watch DVD's with LG 16x DVD/RW 52X24X52

tooty816

Hi,

I just got this new dvd/rw from LG. I can't watch DVD's with Windows media player. I don't want to download any secondary software like powerDVD. Do I have to install any patches or drviers for Media player to work? I have seen LG DVD/RW with 48X24X48 that works. Mine is newer; shouldn't it work?

thanks

tooty816

Windows Media Player and DVDs

Hi,

What kind of software do I need? I have seen it done on my friend's computer, like I said. He has almost the exact same LG DVD player as I do. He's also running WinXP with the newest Media Player released.

Thanks

[tab]

[...]
I have no idea, I don't use MS Windows to watch DVDs, maybe you could ask your friend how he set his up?

Death_Shadow

tooty816 said:
Hi,

What kind of software do I need? I have seen it done on my friend's computer, like I said. He has almost the exact same LG DVD player as I do. He's also running WinXP with the newest Media Player released.

Thanks
You'll have to update your drivers i think, see the thread i replied to somwhere else, not entirely sure where....sorry that probs doesn't help, but yeh, otherwise u need different software. Personally i recomend PowerDVD!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Windows Media Player can play DVDs without other software being installed.
Absolutely correct, you will need a functional MPEG2 codec installed (i.e., any software DVD player program). Even then, WMP is not the ideal choice for DVD playback as it simply was not designed for that role. Maybe they'll fix that with WMP10

Nephilim

VIP Member
The basic versions of either PowerDVD or WinDVD can be had on ebay for under $10 and will supply thye needed codec :)