Capturing TV screen

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Monitors' started by ariel2007, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ariel2007

ariel2007 New Member

Hello,

the following is of mine interest:

We have a cable TV and our provider gives us an option to capture movies or documentaries at a VIRTUAL storage. According to this we can look for a captured item about 30 days after the initial emission. This items are at a virtual storage, so they cannot be stored at an USB stick or something else from the Tv.

On the otherside we can connect our TV Screen with our laptop (for instance via HDMI) and than watch movies FROM the Laptop at a big TV-screen. As you know this cable is only a one way cable, so out, and not in. Vice versa is not possible with this cable.

What do we need do connect our Laptop with the TV Screen in order to mirror the TV Screen at our Laptop?
    For instance a in/out VGA cable? Is there a possibility to capture the TV Screen after mirroring it to the Laptop with a free/shareware?

Thanks a lot

2. UnholyVision

UnholyVision Active Member

If I'm reading this correct. The best solution would be to get a capture card or in this case a capture device via USB (since you can't put a capture card in a laptop). If you can connect via HDMI then they make capture devices that have inputs and passthrough ports. You would just connect the source into the HDMI in and the HDMI out to your TV. Then plug the USB cable to your laptop and use a piece of software to capture the input. Something like Open-Broadcast-Software (OBS for short) or even Kodi. Then you can view your cable TV on both screens at the same time at ease.

3. ariel2007

ariel2007 New Member

I think you read thread correct. The OBS i could find very quickly. I guess the capture device via USB and the HDMI in/out are two separate things, or? I found for instance the "USB 3.0 to HDMI DisplayLink Adapter". Nevertheless I´m not sure if the sound is also transmited via this cable. Could you be more specific about the components?

Thank you for your answer "UnholyVision"

4. UnholyVision

UnholyVision Active Member

There would be more than one way to do this & there would be a price difference based on your needs. Though considering it's cable tv I would assume it can't go higher than around 720p at best and if lucky true 1080p given the provider has such a package. (Edit: 1080i isn't the same as 1080p. The "i" indicates it's interlaced and it's a different method of output that can look worse than 720p. Specially on fast moving scenes).

One example of a capture device made for 1080p (Though as stated this is only one example. There are thousands of these things so price differences, feature differences, et cetera).
    https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-Captu...43924228&sr=8-15&keywords=hdmi+capture+device

Example two or the second option you could skip the passthrough on a capture card and just split the video on a HDMI splitter. Then capture the video via a capture device with an input & no output.
    https://www.amazon.com/NIERBO-Split...ords=hdmi+splitter+female+in+2+out+hdcp&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/if-link-Capt...1543924989&sr=8-9&keywords=hdmi+capture+1080p

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. ariel2007

ariel2007 New Member

If this is also important:
    My PC has USB 2.0 as the highest and it has only HDMI out. Regarding my SmartTV I don´t know, but the cable that connects my PC and TV is HDMI male at both end. My TV has also a SCART dock.
    The first example you sent looked for me very similar to the Station we use for the cable TV. I am going to make a Picture and send it to you.

Thanks for the patience