choosing a graphics card

crazyjs98

I'm new to this site and I'm wantint to upgrade my graphis card but I dont really know which one to buy..I have a sony vaio desktop rcv-rs 312 with a 2.4ghz p4,1gb of ram,and a 80gb hd..Everything is stock except for the ram which I upgraded last year from 256 to 1gb..It has the intel extreme graphics with 64mb shared memory,,What would be the best card to get for under 150 bucks that would be a good upgrade..Any help would be appreciated..As I am very lost in this area of the upgrading deal..Oh by the way its used mainly for just playing a few of the older games and watching some movies..thanks again

Rick G

Make sure you match any GPU with your PSU. Most prebuilt computers have only enough power to run them at stock configurations and a new GPU will probably take at least 350 Watts.

anil099

yea thats the exact same problem i had...no power to run a card...so i had to order a 500 watt psu....btw does ur comp have a pci express slot? or agp? or just pci? find out and we can help you choose a card

crazyjs98

hey guys thanks for the replies...Im not really sure on any of that...Ill have to bust the case on it this weekend sometime and get back with you

Derik75

I tried searching for that model that you mentioned and it seems like you may have messed up with the numbers. But the models I did manage to find that matched you specifications were Pentium 4's that came out in 2003 running on AGP.

I would recommend a Geforce 6600GT. And like the others said, you need to get another PSU as the graphics card will require a molex connection.

spamdos

Derik75 said:
I tried searching for that model that you mentioned and it seems like you may have messed up with the numbers. But the models I did manage to find that matched you specifications were Pentium 4's that came out in 2003 running on AGP.

I would recommend a Geforce 6600GT. And like the others said, you need to get another PSU as the graphics card will require a molex connection.

if he has got agp a 6600gt is no good is it?

i rekon with that computer something like a 9800pro would be fine if it is agp. otherwise maybe u could upgrade your whole computer