\\comp is not accessible

koglakci

Hello,
I have a small network at home using a router and internet sharing all under win xp service pack 1.
several laptops and one computer all connect to the router, the computer is connected to the internet and all the laptops can access the internet fine.
I've managed to get filesharing to work on some of the computers, but not all.
from my computer I can browse the shared folders by typing \\lap1 this will then bring up all the shared folders. But from the laptops if I type \\comp I get an error saying '\\comp is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resources...' but, here is the strange thing, if I type \\comp\(then the share name) it works perfectly fine!!?
I've messed around with allsorts of settings adding, changing user permissions, but I can't seem to get it to work 100% correctly.

Has any one got any ideas?

Thanks.
Kaan.

Lax

VIP Member
Are the operating systems on all the computers WinXP or is 98SE/2k in there somewhere?

Lax

VIP Member
Heh, whoops, didn't see that. Anyway It could be that the \\comp computer is thinking you're trying to log in under another username/password. Have you tried accessing it from another comp?

gibb89

I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago but I have got it all working now.
What i did was:

1)Make sure the computer and all laptops are in the same workgroup
If not go to control panel open system and then on the tabs go to computer name and make sure all computers and laptops have the same workgroup name

2)Make sure guest account is on. Go to control panel click user accounts and make sure its on

3)Persuming your running XP Pro on the main computer go to
control panel then to adminerstative tools. From here open local policies, and from the left pane click security. In the list on the right make sure
the two enteries called something like "Do Not Allow Anonymous Enumeration of SAM Accounts" AND "Do not allow enumeration of SAM accounts or shares ..." MAKE SURE THEIR BOTH SET TO DISABLED.

Now try accessing the computer, hopefully it works!

Last edited:

Lax

VIP Member
1. Doesn't matter in XP which workgroup they're on
2. Guest account is uneeded.
3. Opens you up for other people piggybacking on your account as a way to "hack" XP.

If anything first see if you can access the computer from another laptop/desktop computer.

gibb89

LOL well its the only thing that worked for me.

You can try the above steps without enabling guest accout. But also if he makes the guest account have very limited access then if people do 'piggybak' on his account they wont be able to access his files.

koglakci

Hi guys thanks for your posts.

All computers are on the same workgroup (MSHOME), and the Main computer as got Guest account on.

I couldn't find 'Do Not Allow Anonymous Enumeration of SAM Accounts" AND "Do not allow enumeration of SAM accounts or shares ..." under security but I am running XP Pro?

Also, I can access the main computer from the laptops but I have to type in the share name..... \\comp1\files\ I can't just type \\comp\ to see what shares are available.

Thanks.