-->Computer Freezes

krassi99

Hello,

I have at my workplace a computer which runs Windows 98 and freezes upon pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del. It also freezes sometimes when I start a program, waits 20-30 seconds and then starts it or does not respond at all. Besides that, the mouse cursor springs occasionally to a random place on the screen.

I've tested everything with Norton Utilities, without getting error messages. The problem persists after installing a new HDD, new Windows 98 version, and new graphics card. I have also tested the RAM (RDRAM), same thing.

The motherboard is ASUS P4T, the processor is Pentium 4 1.5 GHz, Socket 423.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. The CPU and MOBO seem to be up to the task however I would suspect that perhaps the memory is lacking?

2. Windows98 was very poor for multitasking and there also might be half a dozen things running in the background. Might be worth checking out.

3. It might be as simple as a Defrag issue or a DMA/PIO problem with the drives:

===
To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.