Computer has slowed down, help please.

david101

I've noticed that after I formatted my computer has slowed down alot.

Computer Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
120gb 7200rpm hard drive
1 gig pc3200 ram
nvidia 6800 GT
K8T Neo motherboard
450 watt thermaltake powersupply

In 3dmark 2001se I was getting 23,000 - 25,000 score and now im getting 13,000 - 15,000 score. Also in Aquamark I was getting 67,000 - 68,000 and now im only getting 26,000 - 28,000 score. I've tryed all different drivers, I have directX C, windows updates etc. I'm thinking it's software but I'm afraid it's hardware. My temperature for my video card is 52c and cpu temp is 34c and box temp is 37c. A friend of mine was saying it might of been the order I installed all the drivers on my computer. Is there a best way to install drivers, windows updates in a certain order?

Thanks for all the help. (If you need anymore info just ask)

Dave.

computerdude2004

Make sure that you don't have any viruses or spyware. You may have a lot of programs running in the background that are consuming resources. You computer shouldn't be sluggish.

david101

I've ran ad-aware and spybot, also in msconfig there is only norton running. I've also defragged. No virus, as i said I just formatted. My computer fans are pretty dusty but i wouldn't think that would slow my cpu/gpu down but not sure.

Last edited:

computerdude2004

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete and look at the processes. I don't really know what is slowing down the computer. Do you have a small amount of hdd space left.

computerdude2004

No, I have 58 processes and 15 programs running in my system tray on my 2.8Ghz computer. I don't know what your problem is. Is it slow when you play games, or is it slow when you use the internet. When does it run sluggishly? You have plenty of hdd space left.

david101

It's sluggish when I play games. In Counter Strike: Source I was getting 120+ fps and now 50 and it drops sometimes below 20. It runs normal when I'm using the internet only benchmarks and gaming.

david101

I just viewed other peoples computer simaliar to mine only difference was they had an 3400+ and there score was 23,000.

computerdude2004

Yeah, than I guess your score is a little low, but I don't know what is slowing your computer down. Is it slow on the internet or in a game? When is it slow? Does it load your username and everything slowly?

david101

I figured it out. This is going to sound funny but all it was was the mobo drivers, lol. I competely forgot about those till I put in my drivers cd again. Thanks though for your help computerdude.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
20 processes running that alot?
Thats nothin'

I have 58 processes and 15 programs running in my system tray on my 2.8Ghz computer
It is important to note that the number of processes and the clockspeed are completely independent values

Is 14,000 low for my computer in 3dmark200se?
There's an online database you can compare to. I dont think so though.

i just viewed other peoples computer simaliar to mine only difference was they had an 3400+ and there score was 23,000.
Yes but what were else were the rest of the specs?

I figured it out. This is going to sound funny but all it was was the mobo drivers, lol. I competely forgot about those till I put in my drivers cd again.
Ouch :p Lets remember that next time heehee