Computer not working! :(

Pyotr

I've no idea what I've done, but my computer isn't working. :(
I press the power button, fans spin, but nothing else. :(
I removed a hard disk, and a few useless gadgets (cold cathode) from the power cables.

Also, when checking jumpers, I found out that the CMOS jumper was on "reset", but it has always been there, and the machine was fine!

silver 95

which fans are spinning. is it system fans, or the power supply fan or the processor fan.

Also, do you have a video card, or is the video onboard. if you have both, try going from the video card to the onboard video. maybe your video card is dead. you can try sticking a different one in there too if you have one available.

Hope this helps a little bit

Pyotr

ALL fans are spinning. Chassi, cpu, psu.

Another strange thing is that CMOS normal (pin 1-2 according to manual) and reset (2-3) seem to be reversed.

I've tried the trouble-shooting from the manual, including removing battery, but still no life. :(

RiseandTakeOver

1.check your cables...
2.take it up to a computer store and get them to analyze it (not too much .. if they say it'll cost like $40 tell them to shove it and walk away)
3.thats all i got... all my fried motherboards still make noises and then die and i reboot them and they make more noises then die again... so.. if it just stays completely dead.. i dunno...

Pyotr

I can just go there and tell them to shove it then, cause it's around $40 for each hour of work. :p

I've excluded memory and motherboard from the list, which means it's either cpu or graphics card. I'll have some friends test both of them. I just hope it's not the graphics card though. Damn expensive..

Pyotr

Hopefully, sort of. But the manual states that what I did (overclocking, stupidly) shouldn't harm the mobo.
But I don't know if the ocing was the reason, since it died after I reset it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Also, when checking jumpers, I found out that the CMOS jumper was on "reset", but it has always been there, and the machine was fine!
Has the CMOS battery died? :)

Pyotr

Would it die just like that after several weeks?
I've no idea. Have to try it on another computer, and I'm out of one at the moment. Have to check that this week too then. But would it give me this problem?

RiseandTakeOver

cmos battery isn't very expensive why don't you just get a new one and test it out?

Pyotr said:
I can just go there and tell them to shove it then, cause it's around $40 for each hour of work. :p

Ouch.. thats crazy.. the independent computer places where i live charge like $15-20.. maybe i'm just lucky?

Pyotr

I tested the CPU and graphics card with a friend's computer. BOTH worked.

So it's NOT the CPU and NOT the graphics card.

What else? >_<

samuelhii_mei

usually MB wont 'died' so easily useless there is an unstable of youe power supply!
try to take a look on your MB's resistances are there any brown yellow 'stain' on it or it 'swollen'!!
i faced with this problem before!

Super_Nova

My first guess would be the motherboard if the CPU and graphics card work. Best thing to do is strip it bare. CPU/RAM/Videocard and that's it. If it does not come back on it's your motherboard. If it does come back on then start adding your other devices one at a time. When you get to the device that keeps it from coming on you've found your bad device. I know it sounds crazy but I actually had a bad modem keep a laptop from booting up. I never thought a modem could do that, but it turned out that the modem had been burned up by a power surge and was causing some shorts. I had to use this method of troubleshooting to figure it out because I had already tried two new system boards.