Computer won't boot

danhughes

I have a 4-yr-old Gateway desktop with a Celeron processor, a 10-gig hard drive, and Windows ME.

I did a system restore to when it was new, and now when I turn it on it begins to boot, gets to the Windows ME screen, but then freezes up with an Add New Hardware Wizard that says "Windows has found the following new hardware: Intell 82801AA SMBus Controller."

It asks if I would like to search for a better driver, but the mouse is locked in the center of the screen and the keyboard does nothing.

When I hit Tab as bootup starts, it goes to a screen showing settings and locks up. When I hit F1 as bootup starts, nothing happens (bootup ignores it and still goes to the Intell 82801AA screen and locks).

Thanks for any help,

---Dan, [email protected]

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I think you might be due for a system reinstallation as the SMBus controller is a relatively "core" device and as such it has to be configured the same was as when you originally had your machine :)

tristan

Try clearing cmos. Check your BIOS battery. If you are comfortable with flashing a bios try that too with the most recent download from gateways site.

danhughes

Gateway boot problem

Praetor said:
I think you might be due for a system reinstallation as the SMBus controller is a relatively "core" device and as such it has to be configured the same was as when you originally had your machine :)

Thank you--how do I do a system reinstallation? I have all the discs but I don't know how to make them "take." I tried putting the discs in the CD drive, but they were ignored during bootup.

tommy8748

What I would do (That is if you have tried everything) is go to the nearest best buy and have them repair it, sure it's gonna cost you bu,t the computer cost way more. That's what im going to do when im gonna get a new graphic card have best buy install it for $40.00.

nomav6

danhughes said:
I tried putting the discs in the CD drive, but they were ignored during bootup.
Make a Floppy boot disk, this should allow you get to DOS then you should be able to select the CD's to run.