connect external hdd to lan

rashaad

Hi all,
I have a lacie 160 gb ubs2.0 harddisk and a usrobotics router.
The other day i saw on the net that usr has a router coming which supports usb2.0 and firewire. So u can connect an external harddisk directly to it. (usr 808200)
So there is a way to connect you harddisk to a router without connecting it to a host computer.
Since I already have a router i was wondering if i could be able to do the same thing to my external harddisk. (i am thinking in the direction of a printerserver or so).
Any Ideas?
thx in advance

Ace1627

Are you sure are not mistaken? I do not think that is a possiblity. Only this I could think of is if you already had a hdd set up os and network settings when it was previously connected to a computer then if you had a firewire repeater hub you could connect an external to the hub. Hope this helps.

d_stevens3

can i ask why you would want to do this, there is nothing that connecting your hdd to the router can do which connecting it to a host computer cannot.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So there is a way to connect you harddisk to a router without connecting it to a host computer.
Yes but you'll need a NAS/SAN which costs tons of moolah.

can I ask why you would want to do this
Tons of reasons mostly revolving around independent, multisource, simultaneous drive access all across a network :) (not to mention the huge sizes and hotswappability)

there is nothing that connecting your hdd to the router can do which connecting it to a host computer cannot.
On the fly RAID6, hotswap, 1.2TB of capacity (as a low) amoung others :) You also dont cripple your system when you trash the drives doing soemthing