Connecting to multiple networks

solo

I was more by dumb luck and perseverence (rather than networking knowledge) that I managed to set up my home network between and XP desktop; ME desktop; XP laptop; sharing two printers (via a netgear print server) and a cable modem connection (via Belkin router).

Problem is that, while I was on holiday, my work laptop (XP) was reconfigured to access [for the first time] the office network. The net effect of this has been to disconnect the set-up I had for it to work at home :(

It appears, from my limited network knowledge, that I now have a defined (static?) IP address under my Local Area Connection rather than the previous 'obtain automatically'.

Basically my question is ... how do I set up a 2nd connection to my home network which will kick-in if the office one isn't connected? I have tried the home network wizard but it doesn't seem to have any affect. I have also trawled the 'help' section but am not really sure what I am looking for.

Any help appreciated - my network knowledge is pretty basic but I'm trying!

da_ezman

I too would like to know a shortcut but in the meantime, I went to Network Connections, Properties, Advanced and wrote down my static info. IP address, Submask and Gateway. Also any DNS Servers being used. Then, when I'm home on my network with it, I boot, open network connection properties and set it to automatically acquire.
It's not much of a pain but a shortcut would be nice. I keep the network settings on a post-it note on my keyboard. :)
You could create a Notepad entry on your desktop with the IP settings there for quick reference too.

:cool:

Grimulus

if you have a static at your home and a DCHP(automatic obtainment of IP's) at work then you should set up your home network for DHCP. This is easily done from the router and then just telling you comp to obtain the IP's automatically.

The other way around may not work unless you have the SAME IP as your work at your LAN at home. :p I think i'm right...someone correct me. A lot of this could be to do with your internet provider at home, hence why you have statics, but I think you can DCHP...

da_ezman

Yep, you are correct. You CAN set for DHCP at home on a router. Here at work though, we do not use DHCP but have static IP addresses. :(
DHCP at both would be great and eliminate that problem for me. Just a little typing is all it makes me do though. Having 2 network connections to choose from would be nice though.
Kinda like IE has it now, if no network is detected, use dial-up....
If this connection isn't there, try this one.
Hey, somebody build that patch!!!! HeeHee

:cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You can find some programs that allow you sswitch between different network profiles with a simple click so you dont have to retype the static IP in all the time :)

Tony2004

Could somebody tell me how to set up zonealarm pro and norton personal firewall 2003 to enable me to access my network resources because i dont want to have to go and disable my firewalls everytime i want to print something to downstairs.