Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C16 Memory + Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI

YSH94

I have a question regarding the above Crosair memory in combination with the above Gigabyte motherboard.

My current build features the listed Gigabyte motherboard with “ 16 GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital Storm Ceritified Perfmorance Series “ Ram.

I want to upgrade to 32 GBs. Am I good to go with the Corsair Vengence 2800MHz memory? They would run side by side with the generic memory I have already installed. From what I’m gathering it looks like everything would run fine with the board, but would appreciate any input before I drop 160 on the RAM. I’m admittedly ignorant when it comes to many things with computer builds, slowly learning.

I just want to make sure my two different memory types would run fine and I’d be getting the most out of them ( 2800 MHz ) with my motherboard, since both memory types appear to be statistically the same on paper to my eyes.. open to all opinions. Thanks

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
You could try it if the speed, voltage and timings match. Personally I'd see if you could get some exacting ram to pair it with.

YSH94

You could try it if the speed, voltage and timings match. Personally I'd see if you could get some exacting ram to pair it with.

Yeah I agree. After going over some things I found it best to just go with two new 16GB Crosairs, name “ Corsair LPX 32GB DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory kit for DDR4 systems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014UYPEXE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I shouldn’t have any trouble getting these to clock in at 3000 with my motherboard correct? Here’s a link to my direct system stats.

https://valid.x86.fr/d60gpv

The 2800s I thought I had from digital storm turned out to be A-data 3000s, just going to sell them for cheap.

beers

Staff member
I shouldn’t have any trouble getting these to clock in at 3000 with my motherboard correct? Here’s a link to my direct system stats
@Intel_man would probably be most familiar with the IMC on that platform. I'd say yes but that's just a guess. The main question would be if ryzen as those systems struggle with higher clocks and dual rank dimms, such as mine topping out around 2933. Otherwise on the Intel side you should have more headroom.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Should be no problem on the 6700k/Z170 combo. DDR4-3200 was the highest ram available when the Z170s came out.

As of late, I'd go with G Skill ram. They have ram that offer lower timings at the same speed than Corsair across the board on most of their offerings.