Crysis - overhyped disappointment?

tweaker

VIP Member
Michael Brown @ maximumpc said:
But after having the opportunity to play one level of the single-player game for an hour, “power struggle” (a variation on capture-the-flag) for about 90 minutes, and “instant action” (a variation on deathmatch) for another hour, I came away from the event wondering if the Crytek team can deliver on its lofty promises when it finally ships the game on November 16.

When I asked Yerli what differences gamers with DX10 hardware would see compared to and those with DX9 hardware, he reiterated that the two experiences wouldn’t be much different, but that there would be a “clear visual difference” in the multiplayer game.

I also didn’t encounter game characters that exhibited the amazing level of detail of those images released very early in the game’s development. As Crytek has begun the final push to get the game out the door, I think they’ve begun to realize just how much visual fidelity they’ll need to sacrifice in order to ship a game that’s playable on mainstream hardware.

I didn’t see much during my time with the game that will significantly advance the first-person genre. The graphics were pretty, but they weren’t nearly as sumptuous as all the early screenshots have been.

I hope my impressions of the game’s graphic quality are off base, and that the game as shipped looks as good as has been promised. Barring that, I hope that the game is at least as much of a blast to play as Far Cry was. I guess we’ll all find out next month.

If Crysis is as intensely fun to play as Far Cry was, Crytek will likely be forgiven if the new game isn't as graphically intense as originally promised.

While most games tend to be overhyped, to a certain extent, I still believe that Crysis will deliver. From what I have read the gameplay will be great, after all that is whats important. A fresh approach to the FPS genre, if you will. :)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/nv...ware_to_coincide_with_crysis_release?page=0,0

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/nv...ware_to_coincide_with_crysis_release?page=0,1

spanky

Gameplay is more important than being able to see every fiber of hair on an enemy anyday.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Gameplay is more important than being able to see every fiber of hair on an enemy anyday.

I totally agree, seems to be that good graphics can hold you for a few hours at most; but good gameplay with some sucky graphics, heck I still play Starcraft! :D

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The way the game is evolving graphically is pretty efficient, it's fast. When I first started the beta a month or so ago, I was disappointed in the way the game looked. I knew it was just the beta but I couldn't see how the devs were going to make the current build we were playing into the final retail build. But the released a new build a week or two ago that really expanded and optimised the experience. Almost everything got touched up graphically (retexturing, water improvements, everything I can think of), and I was getting better FPS, allowing for higher settings. I don't doubt that the game hype may work against it alittle, in the very end, But the way they're going at it, I really think they'll be able to put out a well polished game that looks as great as the trailers did.

Cheese

banned
dont forget that you cant have max settings on the beta. i hear if you edit the .ini you can but what the heck is a .ini? plus, the reason they didn't release the single player demo was because they use info from the beta to know how to touch up and optimize everything on the game itself.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
INI. configuration file. It's a text file that looks like this (just a snipet);

[Engine.WorldInfo]
DefaultGravityZ=-980.0
RBPhysicsGravityScaling=1.0
StaticMeshCullDistanceBiasBase=1.0

A game related option, and it's value. Changing the value will impact the game. Useful stuff, If you want more info visit tweakguides, they list Ini. optimization under the advanced tweaks page

Last edited:

ETSA

I notice all the quotes are from one source, not to impressed. Also, of couse its hyped, that how they sell copies...

dx10 isn't really that huge, it is progression. Look at dx7-dx8, not a gigantic difference visually but it lead to dx9, which obviously was huge..

My guess is that dx11 will be the mind blowing graphics people expect with next gen..

spanky

picture6en1.png

xbu0.png

If you can't tell the different; I don't think you need a gaming rig.

See more comparisons http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9550

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Picture posted is a pre-rendered shot. A guess made many months ago on what they thought DX10 was capable of. The link show pictures of age of conan, which are real comparisons, but it also shows the Crytek engine and their bust models, which are real, they were made to show what they could do with DX10, but still far from what Crysis will actually use in-game I believe.

ETSA is on the right track, in my opinion, DX10 is not going to be jaw-dropping. I happen to think OpenGL is better than Dx10.

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13647

This is a link showing a couple pic of DX9, DX10, and opengl 2.1. The open source function looks a step byond DX10, It's good that OpenGL is becoming more of an option to developers...

BTW this is the real in-game shot M$ released a couple weeks ago showing the difference,

17145_FSXD9D10_normal.jpg

Reneki

only cool thing that im aware of that will make DX10 amazing is the destructible environment thing, that WILL BE SO COOL

xBoom

You can't compare Crysis directly with Halo, it's DirectX 9.0b (or 9.0a). Look at Half-Life 2 with the cinematic mod (the mod is 3.21GB large when compressed with RAR, you can get it at HL2 files).

Half-Life 2 cinematic mod images:
77368_1.jpg

(Downscaled image)
Left: Without the mod.
Right: With cinematic mod v3 (latest is v4).

77368_2.jpg

(Downscaled image)
Left: Without the mod.
Right: With the mod.

Sorry if it's a bit offtopic. But just to show how beautiful DX9 is.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I played the BETA as well, and it didnt look like anything special at all, just an ordinary new game. Although it wasn't DX10 capable and you can't choose Very High settings, I still dont think we will see stunning graphics.

I believe with the review, in that Crysis has been hyped up for at least a year, promising to be the best game of all time and such, but in reality I dont think it's going to be anything that special.

BTW, I havent seen you around in a long time Tweaker.

Reneki

I have been playing the beta for a while now and i have to say i can't really see the graphics getting any better, they are already amazing, much more than what anyone would ever need. This is on MEDIUM, not high, not very high, no AA, no DX10.

Not to mention the game play is actually quite fun, to the point of addiction coupled with awesome explosions and just all around good stuff...can't wait for DX10 environments (destructible everything!).

To me, i haven't seen many games that provide this kind of...realism in a sense, the way the cars move, explode like c4 is strapped to them all....it's just so captivating...or maybe it's because i seem to pwn a lot every time i play, i'd think that helps make me biased. :D