Custom Powerful System!

valleymanSS

can some one post a system that is powerful, (gaming, programming ect..) but not just some supercomputer, it needs to have a resonable price. what type of processor do you think is better intel or AMD?

Joefox

Processor is mostly preference. As for a custom built PC, depends on budget. Throw a price range, and I'll throw you a good pc setup.

tristan

Yeah drop us a price range and we can give you a great setup to shop for. In my sig I am running a very solid gaming rig that runs about roughly 600-700$

valleymanSS

the price range is about 1000$
whats sys's can u malke out of that?, can u leave the places u can buy the things from as well
most appriciated

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
FiberOptics said:
What will you be using the system for? Example: Games, Word processing...
)
Valleyman said:
(gaming, programming ect..)

AMD Athlon64 3400+ (512K, Newcastle) - $300USD
ASUS A8V Deluxe - $135USD
Thermaltake Polo735 - $30USD
Corsair Value Select 1GB Kit (2x512MB) - $150USD (if you shop around u can nail this down to $135USD)
GeForce6800 128MB - $280USD
WD 160GB 8MB PATA - $90USD
Chenming 601AE + Enermax 400W - $75USD (easily droppable to $60USD)
LiteOn 52x32x52 - $30USD
Net Cost: $1090 ($1060 with a bit of haggling)

Sure it violates the magical $1000 barrier but its a hell of a system and depending on where you can get it, you can probably get discounts for buying the whole setup. If you're really strapped for cash, drop the CPU down the the Newcastle 3200). Now if you really wanna give that system a punch in the power department, throw in another $500 and:
- Switch to a GeForce 6800GT - additional $250USD
- Add 1x WD 36.7GB Raptor - additional $100USD
- Add another 160GB PATA drive (RAID) - additional $100USD
- Spend $50 on some nice fans and a fan controller

Regardless, you wont be dissapointed. To answer your question about Intel vs AMD, if you got a P4C system you could probably make it within the $1000 limit easily but the Athlon64 will typically outperform a P4C and for not that much more money so the Athlon64 would probably be a wiser choice to get

valleymanSS

cheers, that system look pretty awesome, does AMD outperform intel in some fields or just generaly? do you know where i can get any bench marks for graphics cards?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
cheers, that system look pretty awesome, does AMD outperform intel in some fields or just generaly? do you know where I can get any bench marks for graphics cards?
It's just a pissing contest really as far as AMD/Intel and nVidia/ATi go, all the companies have good and bad products and they all have their horror stories. As for benchmarks, you can probably find a bunch on Tom's Hardware guide but if you're using them for reference, do take it with a grain of salt -- a 1fps, 2fps advantage doesnt mean jack ... another day and it might be the other way around :) Benchmarks are more of a relative indicator of performance rather than an absolute scale