Ddr3

hermeslyre

VIP Member
There is almost zero difference between Ddr1 and Ddr2 in most apps and games.Even benchmarks only show a performance difference with the most Ram sensitive programs.

It's only redeeming (and most important) features are it's ability to keep up with the newer faster chips (not really even noticeable), and that new boards only accept ddr2. I would just expect more out of a generation leap.

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Maybe so, but all the benchmarks I've seen show only 1-2% difference between the fastest of both (ddr400 and drr800). Close to 0 in gaming benchmarks.

Bandwidth grows with the extra speed as well, but data can only travel as fast as the memory controller and Fsb allow. For ddr3 to truly become a viable, smart move (instead of just forcing it down our throats like ddr2) more than speed and read write times need improve. They need to find and improve what really matters with RAM, not just make it go faster, vroom-vroom, cause faster equals better.

Geoff

VIP Member
There is almost zero difference between Ddr1 and Ddr2 in most apps and games.Even benchmarks only show a performance difference with the most Ram sensitive programs.

It's only redeeming (and most important) features are it's ability to keep up with the newer faster chips (not really even noticeable), and that new boards only accept ddr2. I would just expect more out of a generation leap.
When DDR2 came out, yes that was true. But now you can find high quality DDR2 800 which runs at CL3-4, which is almost the same as DDR 400.

DDR3 on the other hand has much higher latencies since it's so new, but give it time and it will outperform DDR and DDR2.

Azalea13

Can I get a motherboard that supports both DDR2 and DDR3, get a DDR2 for now and then upgrade to a DDR3 once it price cools down a bit?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];741568 said:
When DDR2 came out, yes that was true. But now you can find high quality DDR2 800 which runs at CL3-4, which is almost the same as DDR 400.

DDR3 on the other hand has much higher latencies since it's so new, but give it time and it will outperform DDR and DDR2.

The latencies have gotten faster, i'll give you that. But I've also seen tests from anandtech comparing low latency "enthusiast" RAM to higher latency "value" RAM. The tests were once again a surprise, The 2-3 points between the two types did not equate to significantly higher benchmarks, it was something like 5%.

So the tighter Ddr2 you can buy now, and the soon to came ddr3 would still fall short of it's expectations. I don't know why latency itself isn't a big performance point (System bus limitation?) But I do know that it's not as of yet, and that the RAM manufactures need to focus on something a bit more material.

TheMacNamedDre

alright thanks guys
i think ill wait for a while til i build my new rig
then ill see whats up with ddr3 and see if it outperforms ddr2 by a longshot