Dell Desktops

tomb08uk

Hi,

I am a student and thinking of purchasing a Dell Desktop computer and I am just wondering what everyone thinks about them.

As for example I have noticed that most components are on board eg. Graphics and i gather this means wont be able to upgrade the pc if i ever want to.

Many Thanks and look forward to replys.

Tom

ZER0X

VIP Member
When I got my computer it came with Intergrated Graphics, but I bought a Radeon 9200 PCI version and it's fine.

kof2000

u can still upgrade it even if theres is an onboard one. just disable it, turn off computer, install the new one and plug the monitor into the new on, turn it on and install the driver.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
u can still upgrade it even if theres is an onboard one. just disable it, turn off computer, install the new one and plug the monitor into the new on, turn it on and install the driver.
Naturally this only applies to PCI cards... trying to install an AGP card wont work so well. :)

"Dell" will hurt you as far as upgrading. Make sure the max Ram isn't just 1Gig. I'm a technician and I've worked on some 'Dells' that don't even have an AGP slot. If it's for gaming, I would not recommend it, considering that games are requiring higher specs of memory and video. PCI graphics are much slower than AGP.

If its just for browsing the net then go ahead, but remember one thing: when it breaks, you'll most likely have to ship it to DELL because most parts, like the power supply, need to be from Dell.

For example: an HP was brought in by a customer and the power supply was bad. I replaced it with one of the same specs and same out-put, and the board started smoking.

HP requested that the whole system be shipped to them to prove the claim.

I might also add I sell @+ Computers to business and for gaming.
They come with boards that are upgradable. and they sell for the same price as a 'Dell'.

www.apluscr.com

Research before you buy.

tomb08uk

Dell Computer

Hey, Thanks all.

Has certainly made me think.

Any other recommended brands or sites would be great.

Cheers

Tomb08uk