dell dimension 2400 problems

ssj4nickeli

my friend has a problem with his dell dimension computer that he just bought, when he trys to play command and conquer generals:zero hour his computer slows down very bad and it takes a long time just to play one mission i would like to know if there is a problem with the system or the game.

2.4 ghz intel celeron processor with 400 front side bus

xp os

128 mb shared ddr sdram at 333mhz

40 gb ata/100 value harddrive

ohh yeah and one more thing, can anyone recommend what would be a good graphics card for a pci port thanks.

se7en

Yeah, Celeron isnt the greatest processor, especially for gaming (ESPECIALLY a game like Command and Conquer)
Plus (I'm assuming hes using 56k), cable or dsl is really best for gaming.
I'd say get a better processor (AMD, Pentium 4, etc), and maybe a new memory ram.

Lord Kalthorn

ssj4nickeli said:
2.4 ghz intel celeron processor with 400 front side bus

xp os

128 mb shared ddr sdram at 333mhz

40 gb ata/100 value harddrive
That is not a gaming PC; 128MB is hardly enough for Windows XP! Celeron is not particularly good and though 2.4 is enough for most things you'll do its not very Gaming like - especially for a game like Command and Conquer!

ssj4nickeli said:
ohh yeah and one more thing, can anyone recommend what would be a good graphics card for a pci port thanks.
I would go for the nVidia FX5200 or above! They're good value and the top of the range in their price bracket! Most people would say ATi - don't if you ask me; unreliable and generally not good whereas nVidia graphics cards are powerful Demi-Gods; will last for years and years and will do most anything you tell it to. An FX will live forever!

rufus1111

I have same system

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and I added RAM for a total of 512mb. I added a PNY Verto nvidia geforce fx 5200 128mb PCI video card and this helped. I have C&C Generals:Zero Hour and it plays a bit slow and choppy , but that's what you get with a Celeron and a PCI card.

Thechefxxxv

Yes. Dell 2400 sucks at gaming. i suggest he trashes it and buys a computer that can play games (1000$). I love CNCGZH!!!!